• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
KodeNerd

Return from main

This topic is 3772 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I just had a nice idea for a quick program but it depends on running other programs. Is there any way I can tell what the return value from the main function of another program in C++?

Advertisement
The return value from the function you use to spawn an instance of an application - whether one of the exec functions, fork under Unix or CreateProcess under Windows - will either be the exit value from the application or an identifier you can supply to a query function. Given that most of these functions do not wait for the spawned application/process to end, you'll need some way of knowing when it terminates.

Quote:
Original post by KodeNerd
I just had a nice idea for a quick program but it depends on running other programs. Is there any way I can tell what the return value from the main function of another program in C++?

If "running other programs" is primarily what it will do, then you almost certainly don't want to use C++ - or any "serious" programming language - for the task. Instead, write a batch (Windows) / shell (Linux) script.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!