Sign in to follow this  

Convert fstream file handle to FILE *fp??

This topic is 3577 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Quote:
Original post by Zahlman
Why do you think you want to do this?

The reason is because my application currently does all the file I/Os using the fstream library, but I need to use a function that requires FILE *fp as input.

What about getting the file descriptor from fstream?

According to the documentation, I should be able to do fstream.fd, but the compiler complains:
"error C2039: 'fd' : is not a member of 'std::basic_fstream<_Elem,_Traits>"

FILE* is NOT the low-level file handle interface to the operating system. It's a type which was used in the C standard libary for the C standard library IO functions. Under UNIX, both fstream and FILE* probably use file descriptors internally. Under Windows, both fstream and FILE* probably use an HFILE internally. In both cases, if you're using fstream, there is no FILE* created behind the scenes, just as there is no fstream created behind the scenes when you have a FILE*.

Thanks for all your feedbacks.

I am still using VS 6.0 on Windows due to having to work with legacy code :(

All my file I/Os are currently done using the fstream library.

I need to use the following function to access a very large image file (>2GB, fstream.seekg doesn't work):
__int64 _lseeki64(
int fd,
__int64 offset,
int origin
);

I couldn't get fd from fstream, so I thought may be there's a way to convert fstream to FILE*fp and use the following function to get fd:
int _fileno(
FILE *stream
);

(Please don't tell me I have to rewrite all the file I/O functions in order to use _lseeki64.)

Quote:
Original post by faculaganymede

I couldn't get fd from fstream, so I thought may be there's a way to convert

That function takes HFILE, which is Windows handle. It's completely unrelated to FILE, which is a C struct.

Quote:
(Please don't tell me I have to rewrite all the file I/O functions in order to use _lseeki64.)

Nope. You'll need to rewrite it to use the *Ex functions from Windows API. That, or compile your application as 64-bit.

If you did the proper abstraction, and based your classes on std::istream or even std::stream, you might get away with implementing that interface using the *Ex functions.

This topic is 3577 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.