• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
XtheWiz

[Newbie] What are the differents between texture and sprite ?

This topic is 3743 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi everyone, I'm pretty a newbie that just step into the programming world. so, i'm confused about this question that what are the differents between texture and sprite ?

Advertisement
From what I know, A texture, is laced over or on top of your game sprite. In 2D gaming, your game sprite would be nothing more then a black square, but you can add diffrent images to this square to make it into an interactive character.
The image can be anything, such as a ship in a game that involves arial combat.
In 3D textures can be laced over the 3D Object, like paint on a sculpture. You could make a round ball as your model, then texture it over with a map of the world to create a globe.

A texture can contain many sprites. A texture is an image applied to rasterized polgons on the screen.

A sprite usually represents an object in a 2D game or a GUI for a 3D game. It could be a fruit, a button, or the player herself.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!