College, Game Development

Started by
4 comments, last by djsteffey 16 years, 2 months ago
So right I am sitting here in Baghdad teaching myself Python and C++ in my spare time. I want to develope games one day (obviously) after I get an education. I get out of the Army in less than a year and have a GI Bill to cover my tuition. Ok so here is my question. Would it be better go goto college and get an AS/BS in computer science while taking game developement classes on the side or go to one of those colleges I've seen on G4 where your whole purpose there is game programming and what not. So far I've researched Game Institute but I don't know of any others. If anyone has taken courses with these schools or got a degree through them your input would be greatly appreciated. Location isnt a big deal either even if its out of country. Thanks!
Advertisement
I remember there was another question just like this, you can probably find that thread if you search around.

To sum it up, get a BA in Computer Science if you want to be a game programmer.

Go to "special" school if you want to be a game artist (animator, modeler, designer).
Quote:Original post by ValMan
I remember there was another question just like this, you can probably find that thread if you search around.

The other thread is entitled "Need help with choosing a school," it's very fresh (today) and it's recommended reading.
Greetings from GDC, BTW.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

"So far I've researched Game Institute but I don't know of any others."

Game Institute is good for studying on the side as it's online, and dirt cheap compared to normal college courses. There's also no time limits on when you have to finish the courses, so if you get too busy with your main area of study, you can set it aside for a bit.
Hey your over here with me! I go to DeVry online since I am over here and I LOVE it. (You'll hear some people complain about it but most of them have only seen the crappy commercials devry puts out and never went to a campus). I went to Penn State for 2 years and another tech school for another year and out of all those schools I like DeVry the best.

Most people however will recommend going for a 4 year degree and doing games on the side but I dunno, for me I like tech schools.
im also in the army although i am in okinawa atm

i would get the BS from a normal college. sure maybe your dream of becoming a game programmer may seem nice, but what if you cant get a job in game programming? i believe the BS from a normal college would translate better and look better on a Resume for a non-game programming job. maybe i am just biased though since i have a BS from NC State University.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement