Good C# book

Started by
9 comments, last by daviangel 16 years, 1 month ago
I took vb in school a while ago then C# but i have not done it in a while and wanted to get back into it. I was wondering what is a good C# beginners book to get ? I would like to start xna programing for fun but want to get a better knowledge of C# first.
Advertisement
Learning C# by O'Reilly is a fair book. Not sure if a version for C# 3.0 is out yet or not...
Ok is this a book for beginners even starting with object oriented concepts ?
It is a language book, and as such it won't go very deep into object oriented design. On the other hand it's also for a language that doesn't have free functions so it kinda has to provide some object oriented details. It's written for beginners so has the proper pacing (from what I've read) so you get the gist of what everything does and why.

I can't say for sure, since I wasn't a beginner when I read through it. It's always hard to judge what will trip up people or isn't explained clearly when you already know the concepts...
I recommend O'Reilly C# Head First book. Excellent book, I bought it based on recommendatiosn by Telastyn and daviangel.

It's got a simple, elegant approach to learning and it get's you writing usable code right away. I'm quite pleased with it.

Also consider Beginning C# Game Programming by Ron Penton, it's quite nice too.

Good luck

I also recommend "Beginning C# Game Programing" by Ron Penton but I haven't read O'Reilly C# Head First

Definately keep "CLR via C#" on your shelf as a reference book if nothing else. I couldn't tell you what it's like as a begginers book as I used it to prep myself before taking a C# developer job but I found it very readable.

Also, it's sometimes a good idea to check out University reading lists for courses such as Software Engineering. If the uni teaches C# in the first year then they'll usually recommend a text that covers both the language and many aspects of OO.

Hope this helps,

James
Quote:Original post by Diosces
I recommend O'Reilly C# Head First book. Excellent book, I bought it based on recommendatiosn by Telastyn and daviangel.

It's got a simple, elegant approach to learning and it get's you writing usable code right away. I'm quite pleased with it.

Also consider Beginning C# Game Programming by Ron Penton, it's quite nice too.

Good luck

I have to recommend this book as well. I'm currently going through it, and it's great. The writing style is in way that prevents you from getting bored and it numerous pictures and diagrams to help illustrate important points. As a bonus (well compared to other books I've seen/read), it has a couple of labs where you have to make some basic games, the final lab being a Galaga clone.
Quote:Original post by Z-Hadi
I also recommend "Beginning C# Game Programing" by Ron Penton but I haven't read O'Reilly C# Head First

If you have to choose one go with C# Head First since I also own and read the Penton book and it's more of a quick review of the language than a tutorial that will teach you C#. Not to mention the 2nd half of the book is pretty out of date due to it's use of Managed DX.

p.s. And if you the type that doesn't like printed books or don't like buying books there is the "free" Petzold C# book which is also quite good!

[size="2"]Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe
Head First C# is pretty good (just picked it up, and it covers C# 3.0 and Visual Studio 2008). Has 3 little game labs too, a dog race betting game, a little adventure rpg game, and a Space Invader's clone.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement