No signatures ?

Started by
7 comments, last by NickHighIQ 16 years, 1 month ago
Hey, I know this seems like an incredibly dumb thing to ask but why can't I see any signature below my posts ? I've tried changing it over and over again in my profile settings, but still nothing appears. Could this possibly be a bug or is this a GDNet+ only feature ? Thanks, Darragh
Advertisement
Be sure to tick the "Check here to include your profile signature." box when you make a post.
Quote:Original post by dmatter
Be sure to tick the "Check here to include your profile signature." box when you make a post.

Ah...

I never even look at those check boxes. Told you it was a dumb question! [wink]

Thanks,
Darragh

... and here it is: [smile]
It's not a dumb question, just a dumb solution. I was just about to post a similar question, is there any way to set that in the options so you don't have to click that box every single time you make a post?

\/ See, i have to click it again!
[Window Detective] - Windows UI spy utility for programmers
Quote:Original post by XTAL256
It's not a dumb question, just a dumb solution. I was just about to post a similar question, is there any way to set that in the options so you don't have to click that box every single time you make a post?

Nope! The idea is to discourage people from posting their signature in every freaking post, which wastes space and decreases readability. This is pretty much the same reason that GDNet doesn't allow images in sigs. They're annoying. If you want to express your identity through animated GIFs and suchlike, there's places where you can do that.
Quote:Original post by Sneftel
Quote:Original post by XTAL256

Nope! The idea is to discourage people from posting their signature in every freaking post, which wastes space and decreases readability. This is pretty much the same reason that GDNet doesn't allow images in sigs. They're annoying. If you want to express your identity through animated GIFs and suchlike, there's places where you can do that.

;_; <- tears of joy of not having to wade through screens of posts where 80% of each post is a signature with a huge animated GIF.

I thank all the decision-makers at GameDev for keeping this such a high signal-to-noise-ratio site :)
Oh, come on, 80%? I would have thought most people would have more sense than to put a massive image in their sig but i guess there are people like that. Any way, Gaiiden's idea of only using the sig once per page sounds good so i will do that. (btw, that was mentioned in the other thread)
[Window Detective] - Windows UI spy utility for programmers
Well, maybe not 80%, but if you had included an image with the post you made just now it would have taken up about the same amount of space, vertically, as the 2 lines of text you just wrote; so that's 50% of the post size gone already.

If you had included the 3 lines you currently have then approx. 5 of 7 of your post lines would have been 'noise'; or about 70% of the post.

Images are also distracting and draw the eye, even when they aren't animated (animated are even worse for this), when found in areas they aren't expected.

*idly wonders what his sig is as he hasn't used it in ages*
Yeah, I've been on sites where they've got a one word post, then a picture for each of their on-line WoW, AA, Halo3, RuneScape, XFire etc. stats... it's friggin' annoying. It's a good thing people can't put images in on GameDev.
Nick Wilson - Junior C# Developer | See my crappy site

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement