Sign in to follow this  
torchedEarth

Setting up a website

Could someone direct me to a helpful site that will explain to me how to set up a website please? I know enough html/asp to put something together to suit my needs. I basically need a few pages for screenshots, news and most importantly allowing people to download files. I figure I will start out with one of the free website providers that use adverts on your site for revenue. It will be a good enough place to start, and I hope they will have a built in tool of some sort to help me upload pages / files etc. So, I know some stuff, but I need some help with other bits. Just think, if you help me, I can direct you to it to play a demo of my game - hooray!

Well, it will be hard to find a site that offers webspace with an IIS service for free. In terms of look, you can download a free template, and modify it to your desire. Just google freewebspace with asp/vbscript, and hope you can find something to your needs.

If it's going to be smaller, you may not need any asp. If you just want to have uploaded files, screenshots, and bits of news that you can write statically, then that might be easier, than finding a free web server with IIS.

First of all: If you want to learn HTML, XML, CSS, PHP, javascript or anything like that: Click

Then, you should try to get a decent webpage editor, if you don't have one, you could simply use notepad or something like that. I myself saved up a lot of money and bought a second-handed Dreamweaver... Amazing program

You'll want to get some webspace first, obviously. In the past, I used websamba.com, though eventually I moved on to a commercial (but cheap, heh) host. Generally speaking, you'll get what you pay for.

Once that's all settled, you can upload your sites content, either through a web-based interface or with a FTP tool such as FileZilla.

@MadMax1992: Your link doesn't work because you forgot the protocol. But yeah, w3schools.com is a usefull reference site.