I know application programming, can anyone teach me game programming?

Started by
21 comments, last by agm_ultimatex 16 years, 1 month ago
If you want to learn DirectX 9.0C :

When you install and download the SDK of DirectX you will get a helpfile and it basically is really well documented with tutorials and that sort of things. But with all programming languages, you will most likely be stuck at experimenting and messing things up to see how it really works.

some important things in Game programming though is;

Mathematics, and a STRONG C++ background if your really serious about being a game programmer and want to use OpenGL/DirectX and make A+ title games. But C# and CXNA are great ways to make simple games :) these also have a lot of good tutorials.

You can always toss me a message but... I cannot give you tutoring as in give you assigments, questions are fine but I cannot spend 2-3 hours a day on it ;)

Advertisement
Quote:Original post by nathandelane
The thing is that I'm swimming up the creek - trying to about things the hard way I guess. I don't want to use Visual Studio - I'd rather do stuff from the command line, but crap I don't know how to do that.

That's not really "doing things the hard way". It's "doing things the stupid way". As an experienced programmer, I advise you to do things in a less stupid way.
I have to agree with threepwood about your website, the background is quite distracting.

Im no where near an experienced programmer, especially in c++. But I suggest like everyone else has said pick up a good book in the language you want to learn. I'm going over a beginning game programing in c++ book i have from school, after that an opengl one too. I might get that Focus On SDL book later too. Creating a simple game from scratch is a good way to go as well. Like tetris, a sidescroller, etc.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement