Sign in to follow this  

Need book recomendations

This topic is 3581 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

My parents are buying me a few programming books once they get their tax refund, so I'm trying to find out which ones would actually be most helpful to me, from a list of 7 or so books I'm looking at. (Feel free to recommend other books alongside or instead of those books as well) Firstly, I'm a Windows user, and know SDL and a little Win32. I'm trying to focus on OpenGL now, and the only OpenGL book I have is Dave Astle's and Kevin Harkins' Beginning OpenGL Game Programming.(Which is very helpful) I'm trying to find a book or two that'll help me structure what I know into actual games. Like engine design and layout.(By 'engine' I mean one focused onto a specific game, and not a 'generic' engine) I've looked at 3D Game Engine Design, Second Edition: A Practical Approach to Real-Time Computer Graphics (David H. Eberly) And Ultimate 3D Game Engine Design & Architecture (Allen Sherrod) About the 'Eberly' book, alot of people recommend 3D Game Engine Architecture: Engineering Real-Time Applications with Wild Magic over it, it seems, but I don't want to learn Wild Magic, I want to make my own games and engines for those games. Does the book teach you the 'Wild Magic' engine, or does it actually tell you how to make a engine? Would you recomend it instead of the other book, or go with '3D Game Engine Design'? For more OpenGL related books, I've looked at: Advanced Graphics Programming Using OpenGL (Tom McReynolds) More OpenGL Game Programming (Dave Astle) There's not much posts about 'More OpenGL Game Programming' on the GDNet book page, I guess it's a more recent book. Has anyone read it got any opinions about it? On the Game Programming Gems, it sounds like each book in the gem series is not just a revision of the previous, but a entirely new set of articles? Which, if any would you recommend? I'm looking at GPGems 7 atm, since it more recently came out, and is the same price as the others. How advanced are the articles usually, and would I be able to get anything out of it, or would it be over my head? I'll be sure to be referred by GDNet if I order through Amazon. [smile] The only book I've really settled on is 'Code Complete', I need personal opinions on the others. (Unsure where to post this thread. Seemed to fit here or the lounge best)

This topic is 3581 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.