Sign in to follow this  
RandomPixel

Programming and modeling 3D characters.

I have problem finding a good start on 3D game programming and I need a little push in the right direction. I'm going to program in c/c++ and use OpenGL in my project. For the moment I'm struggling on what 3D format to use in my game, and how I should create them. I have hard time finding a good tutorial aimed at games on how to model in a 3D modeling application. They way I think I should create and program my models (correct me if you know a better way) is this: One character have three parts. Head, Body and Legs. This way I can change for example his body to another body (with another armor). Each of these parts is a separate file that also includes the texture that is mapped to the object. Then there are a new file that have the animation. For example a walk animation that will make all three parts of the character move correctly. This way I can have only one animation sequence for all characters in the game. Is there a book or tutorial that can help me do all that (both in code and on a modeling program). And what file format is best to use for this task? Or is there a better way to create characters? You are more than welcome to suggest a good modeling program to use. I have well knowledge of c and c++. I'm using Visual Studio as compiler. All games I've made have been done in 2D. I used DirectDraw on the PC-games I've done. I have done some work with 3D using either OpenGL or Direct3D, although no games.

better to have 1 mesh and just use bones as attachment points for your armor. will be much easier to animate that way to begin with.

alternitively, i suppose you could have your multiple meshes but just one skeleton to which you attach the pieces at the common bones.

1st is likely much easier to implement as a first pass

-me

You mean like having 1 mesh for the whole character and 1 mesh for the armor, and just draw the armor above the character? If that easier, I'll go with that. But should I then avoid drawing the vertices that are underneath the armor, since they are not visible?