Use of company software tool to developmen personal projects.

Started by
3 comments, last by Toolmaker 16 years, 1 month ago
I work for an IT company, and thus have access to Microsoft development tools such as the latest Visual Studio IDE and the like. This was never an issue/question until recently when I started working on some web-related projects for a friend (his business). I am not making any money off of these projects as I am offering my services pro-bono. So far i've stuck with using my personal computer w/ my own personal development tools for this. So, to play devil's advocate, what if I used my company laptop for this (which would give me access to the latest and greatest MS dev tools that i dont have on my personal box)? I KNOW this is probably not a good idea, but who/how on earth would anybody find out?
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by GekkoCube
I KNOW this is probably not a good idea, but who/how on earth would anybody find out?

As long as you don't post your intentions on a popular internet forum.... oh wait, too late.

I dont THINK that Microsoft legally has a problem with this, so really you should just ask your boss/company since its their laptop/software. If its on your own time I dont think they should have a problem with it, but then again companies can be dicks sometimes.
Depending on your employment agreement odds are any work you do on that laptop, regardless of when it's done, will be the property of your company. You'd probably only get a slap on the wrist (unless your employer is looking for an excuse to fire you) but it could be much worse. There's really no need to take the risk anyway, you can get Microsoft Visual Web Developer 2008 Express for free and I'd be surprised if you really need anything it doesn't provide for a small business website.
"Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished. However, this valorous visitation of a bygone vexation stands vivified, and has vowed to vanquish these venal and virulent vermin vanguarding vice and vouchsafing the violently vicious and voracious violation of volition. The only verdict is vengeance; a vendetta held as a votive, not in vain, for the value and veracity of such shall one day vindicate the vigilant and the virtuous. Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose, so let me simply add that it's my very good honor to meet you and you may call me V.".....V
im not so concerned, just curious as im not profiting from any of this.

i didnt realize visual studio 2008 express edition was free to download. i'll have to check that out! thanks.

Quote:Original post by GekkoCube
im not so concerned, just curious as im not profiting from any of this.

i didnt realize visual studio 2008 express edition was free to download. i'll have to check that out! thanks.

All of the Visual Studio 2008 Express versions are free. This includes all the .NET language flavours and the C++ version. It's great if you're doing pro-bono work or as a freelancer. Free state-of-the-art development tools which you may use for commercial projects. Excellent way to start your own shop.

Toolmaker

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement