Any libs that are like SDL?

Started by
11 comments, last by stonemetal 16 years, 1 month ago
Hello, it's not like I hate SDL or anything so no this isn't a hate topic. I just need something that doesn't require it's own window too work. I made a static one just for it in Win32. Ok, so I got a new static window under my current OpenGL window to display scores and show the buttons that scroll along for the player too press. So what I need is a library that supports sprites and can be used in Win32 windows like OpenGL. Is their any? I don't want too be downloading every library finding out it's missing something or can't do something properly for my game.
Check out my open source code projects/libraries! My Homepage You may learn something.
Advertisement
http://www.twilightsembrace.com/personal/gamelibs.php#2dgfx
Can you expand that more?
Check out my open source code projects/libraries! My Homepage You may learn something.
Why do you have two windows in the first place? You can initialize and use OpenGL from within your SDL application.
And leave every peace of code trying to create the window left behind? You got to be bluffing. Why would I? That would just take more time that is unneeded for a process I have already done with. Just to replace SDL code to init a video model that create a window with a line of code.

That would make the 3 file a waste of my time just too create the window and it took me a month to figure how it would work and get it going!
Quote:Original post by ajm113
And leave every peace of code trying to create the window left behind?

You mean for the window that you created with the win32 lib? Well, for starters, you should have learned that SDL can open it's own window for SDL and OpenGL contexts. Then you would have realized that it would have been a heck of a lot easier to use SDL than win32. Now you can realize that porting to other OS's (if you ever do) will require you to ditch all that code.

Your choice in the end though.
FlyingIsFun1217

And leave every peace of code trying to create the window left behind? You got to be bluffing. Why would I? That would just take more time that is unneeded for a process I have already done with. Just to replace SDL code to init a video model that create a window with a line of code.

That would make the 3 file a waste of my time just too create the window and it took me a month to figure how it would work and get it going!

So you're asking if you should replace a large, platform-specific, ugly piece of code with a simpler, cleaner solution?

Yes, you should.

It was really no waste of time, because you learned a lot doing so.
Just like learning how to create a linked list is very educational, but you end up using std::list.

kind regards
Uncle
It's called being professional in your work and having more control over what goes on in your window's events, Mutex and etc. Three reason why.

1. If you use Win32 you can have more control over the way how to set up the window like if the pc was a 16 bit and how to set the window for a good size of the slow PC or Platform.

2. You can use case statements to detect more user control over the window more.

3. Its easer to do Win32 convert to other systems like 360. Which "SDL does not support!" -I am not making this for the 360. So pretty much sooner or later your going too have to do this.

SDL is for people starting out. I have already been working on Win32 for quite some time now and gotten a good hang of it. Also that I am not a bum when it comes to being profession in work like this.

I know trying to find what I am looking for is a easy way out. I am just trying to find something that can get integrated with my game in Win32 just to display sprites and do screen math calculations of it's (xy) coords. To also return sprite values. I.E Position and what it's properties are. If it's a "X" image or "O" image. That's all I am asking.

It's my opinion and aether way I am still not running SDL. I see no reason why to do this if I looked it 6 times and If I can add more control over my environment aether way. Which I have already got going.
If you are that opposed to SDL, your going to have to specify what sort of library you are looking for. Software, OpenGL, or DirectX rendered? What features?

Maybe you could research this if you know exactly what you need.

FlyingIsFun1217

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement