See my 2d animation and help me please?

Started by
3 comments, last by Sylon 16 years, 1 month ago
Hi! I'm back with more questions after all these...years. Anyway So if you saw the animation...yeah. Sorry it's not very artistic but I didn't want to go all out (it actually took me like 2.5 hours to make). So does anyone think it is POSSIBLE to graphically rotate the boat that specific way (except that it will use mathematical equations instead of actual stored frames of animation[?]) with all the things I mentioned? One more thing - the reason I want to know about this is because in my game I will design large rectangular objects like ships and planes, but I don't want to bother with them facing 8 directions (which includes 45 degree angles) - it's a pain for the artist AND the coder (well, if each 16x16 tile is its own component I think so). With a cartoony, you-can-feel-the-PHYSICS rotation animation, it will make the large objects' 90 degree rotations more realistically acceptable and enjoyable!!! See what I mean? Instead of it just taking 1 or 2 frames to rotate into the other positions. Thanks! Joe [Edited by - Sylon on February 29, 2008 1:04:46 AM]
Advertisement
Sure.

Given the amount of work involved, though, you might as well use a library that'll do it for you. A hardware-accelerated graphics library with support for textured polygons. A library like, say, OpenGL or Direct3D.

Using a 3D graphics library to make a 2D game is straightforward (if not easy) and yields a number of benefits such as not having to pre-rotate sprites. There are 2D graphics libraries that can do it, too, but they generally do it entirely in software and, consequently, do it s-l-o-w-l-y.
Dang was it that simple? Man. I am behind. I thought I knew basic VG programming "rules" (not code) but I guess my questions are no match for what's possible out there!!

Even the 16x16 components being linked together and stuff? They will move in unison in the rotation? Hm.

You made my day. My night. My morning, actually. I can go to sleep happy now, thanks man. Dreaming about my game art. LOL. Wow.

You rock! Later.
You wouldn't think twice if you saw a game rotate an object in 3d, would you? You wouldn't even think twice if it was a tank with swiveling turret, tilting barrel and moving tracks.
___________________________________________________David OlsenIf I've helped you, please vote for PigeonGrape!
Oof. Yeah good point. I feel, very prehistoric right now!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement