new here, full of questions: here's number 1!

Started by
37 comments, last by dirk1 16 years, 1 month ago
Quote:Original post by Sneftel
Quote:Original post by dirk1
anyway to continue what im saying is that the game does know how to do graphics with my card it just cant locate the right shader package and im not saying cod4 should be patched backwards to make older system users happy.
im trying to find out how i can work around shader package detection

I'm confused. What do you think a "shader package" is?

I translated it as "the game requires shader model n, and my card support this, but for some reason the software detects shader model n - 1". Not that the shader model is the only thing that matters of course.

BTW, I don't think this thread fits the Business of GD forum anymore.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by dmatter
If you're lucky and the shaders, along with their hardware requirements, are stored externally from the game then you might be able to write fallback shader paths for your card.

that sounds interesting where could i find more on that? or would you elaborate on fallback shader path?

It entirely depends on the COD4 shader engine really.
Say the renderer doesn't hard-code in anything demanding certain hardware features AND the shaders/effect/material definitions are accessible to you (as .fx files for example) then all that stands in the way of the game running is the required hardware support for those effects - if you modded them to add new techniques for rendering on your video card then the shader engine will detect that and use those paths/techniques instead.

There's a few steep ifs and buts there, it also probably requires you to be able to understand a hardware shader language (HLSL, GLSL or Cg).
Quote:Original post by WanMaster
anyway to continue what im saying is that the game does know how to do graphics with my card it just cant locate the right shader package and im not saying cod4 should be patched backwards to make older system users happy.

I translated it as "the game requires shader model n, and my card support this, but for some reason the software detects shader model n - 1". Not that the shader model is the only thing that matters of course.

So let's say that you skip the check, and cause the game to think--incorrectly--that the video card can do a particular thing. What should happen when the game actually tries to do that thing?

Actually, let's put some specifics in there. One thing your video card can't do is texture lookups in the vertex program. Suppose a vertex program tries to do a texture lookup. What should happen?

So let's say that you skip the check, and cause the game to think--incorrectly--that the video card can do a particular thing. What should happen when the game actually tries to do that thing?

Actually, let's put some specifics in there. One thing your video card can't do is texture lookups in the vertex program. Suppose a vertex program tries to do a texture lookup. What should happen?

Erm, you're not asking me, right?

well not particularly saying that my card would support that request for shader package "n1"
but i know for a fact that the alpha en glow rendering methods used in game could be set to 0 in which case my card would be able to run the game smoothly, and i should then rather say work around shader package detection to get in game and from there i can work in such a manner that i would have visually acceptable renderings and good to decent framerate
thats all i need / want in this case
but for example at a friends pc who also did not meet the minimum requirements for cod 4 i did manage to get it working without a problem how is this possible?
i ask you
(only difference he has an ati and i have the nvidia but both are comparable in specs, trust me on that)

Erm, you're not asking me, right?

No, sorry. Wrong quote button.
does seem to be off topic but he its a wide range of variables that could lead to an answer anyway i want to thank you for feedback an d im happy to say that is has been inspiring enough to get to the action:)
if i manage to do this ill post in this thread or maybe a new one:)depends on the time it takes:)
well not particularly saying that my card would support that request for shader package "n1"

Okay, now I'm confused too.

Quote:but i know for a fact that the alpha en glow rendering methods used in game could be set to 0 in which case my card would be able to run the game smoothly

What does that mean, "setting the alpha rendering to zero"? Just because you switch something off in the settings, doesn't mean the software no longer depends on it. Furthermore, the game's settings don't translate directly to video card capabilities. Who knows what this "alpha" is used for, perhaps it's required for something completely unrelated to the graphics, like GPGPU.

Quote:and i should then rather say work around shader package detection to get in game and from there i can work in such a manner that i would have visually acceptable renderings and good to decent framerate

Well, if you still insist on trying, find out where the settings are normally stored (file, registry) and create or change them. But you'll be on your own.

Quote:but for example at a friends pc who also did not meet the minimum requirements for cod 4 i did manage to get it working without a problem how is this possible?

You got lucky.
(only difference he has an ati and i have the nvidia but both are comparable in specs, trust me on that)
And what if I don't trust you? [wink]

Name the ATI card and we'll see how they compare [smile]
Richard 'ViLiO' Thomasv.net | Twitter | YouTube

Okay, now I'm confused too.

Quote:but i know for a fact that the alpha en glow rendering methods used in game could be set to 0 in which case my card would be able to run the game smoothly

What does that mean, "setting the alpha rendering to zero"? Just because you switch something off in the settings, doesn't mean the software no longer depends on it. Furthermore, the game's settings don't translate directly to video card capabilities. Who knows what this "alpha" is used for, perhaps it's required for something completely unrelated to the graphics, like GPGPU.

Quote:and i should then rather say work around shader package detection to get in game and from there i can work in such a manner that i would have visually acceptable renderings and good to decent framerate

Well, if you still insist on trying, find out where the settings are normally stored (file, registry) and create or change them. But you'll be on your own.

Quote:but for example at a friends pc who also did not meet the minimum requirements for cod 4 i did manage to get it working without a problem how is this possible?

You got lucky.

not familiar with theorizing?
in this case i was referring to the way you interpreted my remark
as for rendering glow /alpha im trying to say in short that i can figure out how to smooth things out without messing with the game engine.
believe me its not that hard even for noobs.
i suspecte3d u guys to be more or less capable of comprehending possibilities without them being described in programming language. lol
im saying again that the game itself does not need shader package 3.0 to run its just programmed that way but this is just a slight piece of code as i understand, if im wrong please fill me in.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement