online master in videogame development

Started by
11 comments, last by cesarpachon 16 years, 1 month ago
hello, I wonder if someone knows about a master degree in videogame development that can be taken online.. thanks by the info!
Advertisement
A online master's degree? I highly doubt it, and in case it does exist, I wouldn't recommend it. Is there any reason you can't go to a local university?

Edit: okay, a quick google attempt does reveal they exist. :/
yes, it there is a good reason: I live in Colombia (south america) and I work here, so I would like to study online, and in Colombia this kind of program simply does not exist.
If there is, it's a total scam and you'd have to be pretty damned stupid to pay for it.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
hey, thanks by your opinion. I had not lost the hope. what do you think of this one? http://www.westwoodonline.edu/degree/gaming/game-software-development/degree.asp
That is a BSc, not MSc.

Steven Yau
[Blog] [Portfolio]

Judging by
">this it's, to quote Promit, a scam.
What are you planning to do with this degree?

If all you need is a degree, sign up at local university. Anything technical related will be worth more.

If you're planning to start your own game studio, your portfolio will matter more. And since you'd own it, degree wouldn't be a problem.

Planning to move into an area with more opportunities? Well, you'll be going against CS graduates with years of experience.

This doesn't mean getting any degree is wrong - but what will you do with it? What are your plans? What is your past experience?
well, what a good question! I did have a degree in System Engineering (I think it is the equivalent to a BSc in USA), and 5 years of experience on a wide range of software development: java enterprise, java mobile, C++, OpenGL.. I learn to develop videogames by myself, using OpenGL, C++, Blender, and sometimes other technologies like flash, java3D and so on.. I even made and sold a 3d-racing game for a internet advergaming campaign using opensource things. Right now, I sell my services of consulting in these fields to europe (offshoring), I live in Colombia, and I do all my work online. I am a teleworker. sometimes I teach OpenGL ,C++, and CG in a local University, or take part in academic research projects like put on a cave using java3D. so, right now I feel the need to formalize my education, and improve my profile with a degree which in some way help me to certify all this stuff. you are right: any MSc would be fine, but I would like something more closely related to my current activities and preferences.
TBH, if you're truly capable, and have ability to learn, go for a more practical. Something economy/finance/management related.

You'd be paying absurd amounts of money for things you're almost certainly capable of learning on your own.

You wouldn't learn any theory or any largely applicable techniques. Those schools then to teach languages and idioms, usually they are very narrowly applicable to any other area.

Think about the future. Depending on your age, and employment options, you could be wasting your time. Also - I have never seen any public telecommute job offer. And I'm not sure how many game developers are around you.

In the future, business and industries will continue to consolidate. Loners will be fighting an uphill against multi-billion corporations.

Thing a bit further ahead. You have experience, a degree and (apparently), steady source of income. How much longer do you see yourself coding? What about income? There really is not much progression in programming/implementation type of development.

Management and economy related skills on the other side will get you much further, and will allow you to better market your expertise.

If you're a game coder, that's it. You need an employer. But if you look into management side of things, you have a change of starting your own studio, as well as ability to better estimate the deals and manage work efforts.

Do you really see yourself as game coder in 20 years? Wages for programmers continue to plummet and fields are getting merged. Will game programmers still exist in X years, or will designers and artists use one of two third party engines, with a single programmer doing some technical work?

IMHO, think about practical future. I think the technical side isn't your problem.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement