Sign in to follow this  

Applying textures to icospheres?

This topic is 3577 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

So option 2 then or do what V-Man said.

You can either have a cubemap (which would have to be made without seems). Or do option 2. You can unrwap sphere models in modelling packages (not sure how well icospheres work), and then you don't have to do anything other than bind the texture.

Blender for instance has Unwrap->Sphere and Unwrap->Cylinder etc. Every application should have something like this. Like I said I dont know how well it works on an icosphere, but it should.

You can do it in a shader simply by calling one or two functions. If you don't know shaders, then you need to just change some things of which I dont remember.

http://developer.nvidia.com/object/cube_map_ogl_tutorial.html

or just buy a book on openGL.

Alright so I broke out my old OGL book and found the code necessary. It gives a pretty good explanation of what it does and I think I have a good grasp on it. What it doesn't give is how to implement the code.

Do I call all the glTexImage2D calls before I call my sphere? After?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

It doesn't sound like a good book if it doesn't show an example. You need to create the texture, then you can use it. You didn't find anything on the internet or developer.nvidia.com?

They give the example code, loading the imagine, converting to texture, etc., they just don't show where to use the code. How to apply it. Hence my question.

This topic is 3577 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.