Sign in to follow this  
StylizedCarfan1

New Roller Coaster game that will beat all roller coaster game in the world.

It a game called Ultimate Ride:Limitless It a better version of Ultimate Ride Coaster Deluxe with a mix of NoLimits making it the highest detailed roller coaster game in the world along with photorealistic graphic. I don't know anything about game development, so I'll post here just to see if anyone going to do this a whole lot of work. If you need me to talk to company, just tell me which company, I'll check if it fake or not. NOTICE: 1/4 of these are in NoLimits.1/4 are in URCD. And 1/6 is in both. NL stand for NoLimits UR stand for Ultimate Ride The 3D mesh format here are very useful. 1.Ability to twist and rotate like in Maya, but it has to calculate the position of coaster piece.-This mean that it calculate the position of coaster piece, then the rotator will rotate to that position without changing the coaster piece unless you touch it. 2.Ability to do things in NL but much quicker and easier like selecting row ball and create line.-This have feature of NL,but you can extrude and that'll create new line and ball. After doing that and you click preview support, it'll generate mesh of roller coaster. 3.Mental Ray Render-Render feature of mental ray 4.The game must be maded with any possible program. 5.Different texture in wood. Since that how real life is like.-Real life have texture that aren't the same alway. It'll alway be different no matter what. 6.The ability to set the amount of support like How many XYZ. 10X 10Y 10Z would be 1000 support per track piece.-This is useful expecially for wood coaster. 7.The ability to export the any file file to .obj, .3Ds, or .fbx.-This is the whole game model of roller coaster, terrain, and props 8.Ability to calculate the XYZ of a track piece, create line from the XZ direction.-This mean it calculate XYZ position. If the coaster is X25 and the Z is 35. You'll able to extrude and create ball from that. 10.Support creator menu.-That mean having option for part of line of support and many option including roller coaster sensitivity which is how sensitive and if it 1,00 sensitivity it'll look like it following the shape of coaster. Ability to detach line and make it separate. Ability to connect. 11.Ability to put support as track prop but the support must be facing vertically.-This mean it a track prop calculating position of part of roller coaster and it'll end up facing vertically or on the neccessary postion 12.Create things like they do in real life loop to support loop-Real life have loop that isn't common. 13.The tree must be some script for the game render to render it as full3D detail 14.There must a script to render grass as 3D 15.The game itself must support bump, normal, and displacement map.-This one is self explainitory. 16.No fake roller coaster mesh, hate it.- This mean every little detail 17.Ability to export to .ma(Maya ASCII File) 18.Ability to set how much detail on the coaster, even the crossbar, the ability to set the crossbar to different count. 19.More actual realistic scale. 20.Realistic sound like in NoLimits 21.Some sort of mix of UR and NL 22.A built-in video tutorial, I hate learning by myself sometime. 23.The ability to create support manually like in NoLimits, but not only XYZ in Nolimits, I want calculation of position and the ability to move X,Y,Z separately.-This mean moving X mean moving left or right, Z front or back, and Y the height of things/ 24. Right click at the support and the ability to set the thickness of support of just use menu to change the thickness of support universally.-Kinda of extrude cylinder with faces stay stuck together, and change the thickness of support. 25.Ability to import mesh or create a terrain like in NoLimits.-Self explainotry 26.A lot of feature from UR and NL. 27.All the tree must be unique and different as well as grass, plant, and so on. 28. Changing and realistic weather effect, when the roller coaster make sound energy through water, the water must be in higher frequency.-Real life does this, so add this. 29. Sound effect must be realistic, if the coaster go through a cave, there must be echolocation. 30.Ability to set reflectivity of a part of roller coaster.-This involves the material menu. 31.Make changing material effect to separate piece of coaster.-This involve moving your mouse to the material menu. 32.No mickey mouse and stuffs. 33.No fake turbobooster. Use real life brake and acceralator. 34.Ability to change the effect of the brake and acceralator like in NL. 35.The coaster will have slight or no effect of what around you. Unless a large place where echolocation usually come should have a huge effect. 36.Ability to import element and put it to the coaster. 37.Ability to switch menu to UR to NL as well as NL to UR. 38.Full 3D coaster mesh. 39.Texture can be up to big size. 40.Much more photorealistic.-This mean no fake stuffs, no fake bump, and no fake detail, no sharp edge, no bad looking render, the physic is real. 41.Add the ability to generate texture to an enviroment. Add normal, bump, displacement map to the enviroment as a tool to the terrain creator.-This is on the main menu where is terrain creator inside the game. 42. New challenges. 43. You can view and edit the coaster height graph affect the coaster real time. 44. Generate roller coaster height from top view of roller coaster.-This is importing roller coaster pic and make it generate it by images. 45. Ability to import images of roller coaster and place it as reference as well as moving the reference pic, scaling and so on.-This mean importing images and rescaling mesh of that image, rotating for reference. 46. Many option from NL.-Option that NL have. 47. Please add the ability to import mesh and import it as coaster piece, prop, support, or even part of enviroment. 48.Ability to make it look like your time. If it 10:00 PM, it should be night. If it 7Am, it should be morning. 49.Unique texture for each track piece 50.Specular map for roller coaster piece.-This edit the reflectivity to certain area. 51.The ability to edit the tie.-One editing of the tie can affect the other. 52.There will be never the same texture for wood. 53.Adding dirt to the footer and bottom of the support.-This will involve right clicking support, dirt generator, and then edit the factor. 54.Ability to change the shape of support from square to cube, or even more shape.-This will edit the support by editing the basic shape of it from a editor inside the game, if the support is circular and manipulate it from an editor it'll look like an edited circle or something else. 55.Tie and support must be beveled edge involve.-Like I said, no fake things. 56.Multiple dock, and the ability to adjust the rotation of it XYZ. 57.Ability to adjust a material type by everything.-Reflectivity, spectacular. 58.Some unique effect in the enviroment, if the noise came from the roller coaster, it'll cause an avalanches if in it a large snow mountain. 60.Material from various 3D program will be accepted and viewed correctly in the simulator. 61.All NL's track type. 62.More than 100 material affecting roller coaster mesh along with the ability to edit UV, add texture and so on. 63.The coaster must look like it has an effect if it an old coaster, like rusty. 64.Built in texture creator and editor in the terrain maker. It like photoshop brush tool and make it as normal, bump, displacement, set image size rescale, brush size and so on. 65.Ability to move prop X,Y,Z separately. 66.Ability to change the color of the prop inside the simulator. 67.The older the coaster, the more changes come into the coaster. 68.More detailed tree. 69.The imported prop can have effect on the terrain, if it touch a terrain, it will not go through. 70.The cloud must look 3D 71.Unique event to the sky, like rocket is blasting in the sky. 72.In the night, the more light there is, the less likely you're going to see the stars. Some part of NL and UR just won't support the above part, so I added the nonsupported part. Due to the mix of game: It'll shorten the time and make the track faster and better. Anymore idea may be appreciated. Any progress on this game should be appreciated.If you have any question, feel free to ask. [Edited by - StylizedCarfan1 on March 1, 2008 8:34:43 AM]

These would all be great things to have in a roller coaster game development thread - over in the game design section. I am not exactly sure how it could benefit from being in the writing section; it would in fact seem as if it is detrimental.

Is this a roller coaster simulator or a 3D modeling program? I see nothing about game play in here, instead you talk about how you can export to 3D formats and how you can change normal maps and things like that.

I don't mean to be offensive, just realistic, but it does sound like you've read a bunch of "buzz words" and have just spouted them back out with no real knowledge of what they mean. For example:

64.NURB,subdiv,polygon are acceptable.

This is entirely an implementation detail. It's the kind of thing that a programmer would decide after first using a brute-force method and seeing that it is too slow. It is not something that some who describes themselves as knowing nothing about game development should decide. Quite a lot of what you have said would be put under the category of implementation details. If you are designing a game, you don't care what the max texture is (and just FYI, 1024x1024 has been easily doable on graphics cards for years, so if you're looking for "photorealistic" graphics, you can do more than that, easily). Furthermore:

37.Everything around you must have an effect on the coaster.

Why? How does a trash can affect the roller coaster next to it? Or a tree? I think you're going overboard, and will end up making the game overly complicated.

IMO for someone who has no experience making a game, you have gone way overboard in tiny, insignificant details when you seem to have glossed over the big picture. You have missed the forest for the trees. Google around for how to create a design document for a game. There's some great resources that will help you get over the little, implementation details and instead actually design a game.

Best of luck.

Can somebody clue me in on what exactly this is about???

Quote:

If you need me to talk to company, just tell me which company, I'll check if it fake or not.

ok.... why would we ask you to talk to a company? what is your purpose in all of this?

Quote:

I don't know anything about game development, so I'll post here just to see if anyone going to do this a whole lot of work.

so you want us to make a game for you?

Quote:

blah blah ... xml ... blah blah integrated whatchamacallit ... blah blah ... allow users to ride their creation at the nearest kings island or disneyworld.. blah blah

I don't know anything about game development

You seem to THINK you know what your talking about anyways

Um, I just want this game to come true since I dreamt of it, it look so more like a 2050 roller coaster game. I know it might not. Yes, I know nothing about game development. So about the gameplay, It'll look similar like Ultimate Ride game and with more button and more keyboard shortcut, option to change the pitch, twist, length factor and then option to change part of mesh but yet a mix of 3D modeling program with a game. Yes I know it might be complicated. In real life, everything have an effect to something. But just not make it look fast and throw everything in the air which is obviously not real life. I'll go on a roller coaster game development thread. As for the export and import, I rather have a separate installer because there are people that might not care about importing/exporting .3D, .obj, or .fbx. I'll just move on to a roller coaster development thread.

And also, yes I want you guys to make a game for me for free and to sell,. Since I know nothing about game development.

I don't know what I'm talking about. So correct me if I'm wrong :)

And don't try to flame me just because I know nothing about you know what.

[Edited by - StylizedCarfan1 on March 1, 2008 8:59:23 AM]

The only way this might be vaguely possible is with a high budget, an elite team, and at least two years. This is a commercial-quality product that you are suggesting. Now, I don't mean to offend or otherwise upset you, but do you honestly think that a random person on online forums is likely to go up to a company and say: 'Oh, look. This is a great idea, why don't you try it.' and for the company to then reply: 'Oh yes, good plan. We'll make this HUGELY EXPENSIVE game, for an INDUSTRY OUTSIDER, for NO PAY.'

As I see it, you are essentially asking for somebody to make your dream game, and then get no profit out of it. Although some of your ideas are good, you stated that they are in other games. Violation of copyright, anybody? (I'm no copyright lawyer, but I think you could have a tiny bit of trouble there). Again, I must repeat: this is a commercial quality product. Do you really expect anybody to make it for free?

Sorry if I sound as though I'm flaming, or actively trying to upset you, but I'm simply speaking the cold, dark truth. This is unlikely unless:

a) You get a job in the industry, write a design document, and then pitch it to a publisher.

b) You fund it yourself, at a huge cost.

c) You aim a lot lower.

I'm sure it can be made, so I'm not aiming to deter you, but game development is HARD. A good quality 2D game (read: Flash) could be made for you for free perhaps, or maybe a low-quality 3D game. But this? This is a dream game. Dreams rarely come true. It's not impossible - but then, neither is winning the lottery. The odds are stacked against you.

Now, I'd like to say something. Many of your ideas are good, but too difficult to implement, or otherwise undoable. Scale it down and simplify it a LOT, flesh out your ideas, write out a good design - then, perhaps, you can get a team for it. I also recommend you read Tom Sloper's excellent range of guides for Game Designers to find out about the industry.

Good day, and good luck!

I don't want to turn you away from game development and everyone who starts in this sort of hobby or profession comes in with huge ambitions but you need to realistic. To reinforce what Delphinus said, getting someone to program a game for you, and then going off with it and selling it with no prophet for the programmer is insane. To show you what I mean, it can take a whole day just to make a nice pong clone, and that's a VERY simple game. Now think of what it would take to basically emulate reality on a computer, which is what you seem to be aiming for. Not only would this suck away heaps of time from the person who programs the game, but it is probably impossible. There is a reason that computer games have minimum requirements, and to have "no fake things" would require a supercomputer.

Now you also seem to know a bit about computer 3D from what I've read in your posts. I'm guessing you used a program like max or maya:

Quote:
Original post by StylizedCarfan1

3.Mental Ray Render-Render feature of mental ray
15.The game itself must support bump, normal, and displacement map.-This one is self explainitory.
16.No fake roller coaster mesh, hate it.- This mean every little detail
28. Changing and realistic weather effect, when the roller coaster make sound energy through water, the water must be in higher frequency.-Real life does this, so add this.
40.Much more photorealistic.-This mean no fake stuffs, no fake bump, and no fake detail, no sharp edge, no bad looking render, the physic is real.
41.Add the ability to generate texture to an enviroment. Add normal, bump, displacement map to the enviroment as a tool to the terrain creator.-This is on the main menu where is terrain creator inside the game.
49.Unique texture for each track piece
52.There will be never the same texture for wood.
62.More than 100 material affecting roller coaster mesh along with the ability to edit UV, add texture and so on.
70.The cloud must look 3D

There is a reason that it takes hours just to render seconds of realistic footage in Maya or Max, and thats because it is very computationally taxing. So when you see fake bump maps or less than 100 materials or "fake" meshes in games, it's not just because the developers want to make you angry, but rather because computers cant handle photorealism. The most realistic game that I've played is Crysis, which has a render much less than Mental Ray, and uses "fake" meshes and bump maps. When you look at that game, it took hundreds of people around 2.5 years to make it and most modern PCs can hardly handle it.

All that said, if you really want to make your dream game, then I suggest that you do pursue it. There are many things to learn on this website and others. You could even get working on a game like this and make it as cool as you want if you spend enough time learning how to develop games. That would benefit you much more than having someone else do it for you. Also, there are many programmers on this site that would probably love to join a project such as yours, but they are very wary of failed projects. Most people don't want to waste time on a game that will never be finished. If you could tome down your expectations a little and try to learn some things about game development yourself, you could probably get much closer to finishing that dream project of yours than by asking other people to make it for you when most people believe that it is not possible. I'm serious though, you really should go for this. If you can follow through and take the initiative, I assure you that you will get much farther on this project and learn much more. Good luck.

I got no option but to develop it by myself with no damn help. Although I could model for 3D game, I know nothing about codes and stuffs. So oh well, this dream game isn't just going to be true, maybe I should think something else other than roller coaster game.Based on what you said, it'll take me over 10 years in order to create a game like that by myself.

No, not at all. I was simply saying that those details were impossible (or nigh-on). You could make a part-based rollercoaster sim in Flash, for example, and that could turn out very well. It's the details that kill it. I'd recommend getting a simple tool (like Flash or Game Maker) and whipping up some simple games to get an idea of the development process. Once you start to actually MAKE a game, it will be much easier to understand why we say it's so hard. For example, (I am a designer/writer, not a coder) I started to make a rhythm game in flash. It wasn't difficult at first... but then difficulties ramped up and up. Being non-industry, and still quite young (no full-time work), I simply hadn't got the time or patience, although I did have a small team (of my friends). I had deviated from my skill too much. Games are HARD. Like I said, try something like a simple, cartoony rollercoaster sim in Flash if you really MUST do one, but expect to be worked to the bone. I'm sure it's possible (in fact, I'm rapidly falling in love with the idea; maybe I'll try and form a team to create one) but it will be hard. Work hard though, and you have a project under your belt. More capable people will join you, and your skills will develop. Who knows, this might even be the story of the roots of a game company! Nonetheless, work hard, do your best, and everything will fall into place - that sim you were talking about may even become reality in 10, 15, 20 years time!

Until then, good luck!

Then form a team, which will also include me, the roller coaster 3D modeler as well as support and props. I want a profession level modeler. :D Since I have Maya, I'll have no problem modeling part. Although I do need script coder and writer for the extruding coaster part and duplication. Okay, First Progress is this track type,http://www1.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/4132757/2/istockphoto_4132757_roller_coaster.jpg

The Finished model of Vekoma Track.
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff122/EXOTICNFS/VekomaTrackFinished.png

[Edited by - StylizedCarfan1 on March 1, 2008 8:54:54 PM]

The game you are describing is more like a Sandbox game, or something like a simulator rather than a game. That is fine. Not all "Games have to be games. If you think of it as "Entertainment Software" people will understand your concept better.

However:
Quote:
42. New challenges.

This then indicating that you might be thinking of it as a "Game" not just as Entertainment Software.

Remember: If it doesn't need to be a game, then don't make it into a game. Entertainment Software can be fun without having to be a game (think Flight Simulators).

Quote:
Then form a team, which will also include me

You could do it all your self, but it would take decades (and if you think of the time it would take for a single person to do it then the time it would take for you to learn a programming language is not all that significant). However, over this time computer power will increase. If Moores Law holds true, then for every 18 months computer power will double. Lets assume that it takes you 18 years (and extremely optimistic estimate, it could be double, tripple or more times this) to make how much more powerful will computers be in that time: 2^12 or 4096 time as powerful as today. Yikes!

Actually at that level of computing power the details that you are looking to put in will most likely be feasable for the desktop computer.

So looking at that timeline, what you are looking to do would indeed be feasable. But I am assuming that you don't want to wait 18 years to have this game made (well not "wait" exactly, but work very hard for 18 years).

However, if you are willing to compromise on a few details then it might be ferasable that even modern day computers would be able to run the game. If that is the case then you might want to look at a team. But it will still take some time to make.

Now if we are going for a time of 18 years with only 1 person working on it, if we add another it will halve the time (not really but this is only a quick estimate) giving us an estimate of 9 years. Still too long.

Ok we double the work force to halve the time again: So 4 team members and 4.5 years (4 years 6 months) to make. Still too long.

Double the teram size again to 8 and 2.25 years (2 years 3 months).

These people won't work for free. It is not their idea being made, they might not even like rollercoaster games. For them to work for you they will have to be paid.

This means that you will need to fund this project somehow.

Lets assume that the programmers will take home $2,000 each month. You should double this figure to account for all the administration (insurance, etc) costs.

So at $4,000 per month for each programmer with 8 programmers, that gives a total of $32,000 per month for each programmer.

Over 27 months $864,000. And this is just for the programmers. You will need to rent office space, buy (or rent) the hardware (the computers the programmers are going to use), pay for the electricity (for the lights and of course the computers too), and so on.

As an estimet, you probably are looking at an out lay of around $1.2 million to $1.5 million. At least, and probably a lot more. If something goes wrong (a programmer has to leave, or a hardrive crach) then you could even be looking at a massive increase in both time and money to fix the problem.

As far as what you want in the software, it doesn't seem all that complicated. What you are wanting is a physic engine (optimised for rolercoster simulation), a high powered graphics engine and a lot of editing tools to allow you to make the tracks.

However, you only seem to be foccusing on the Graphics engine.

Here are some questions that might help you think about the other stuff:
1) What physics do you need or don't you need? Will you need rigid body physics, collision detection, fluid dynamics, cloth simulations, and so on. Which of them do you need and which can you do wihout?

2) List all the changes to would like to do to a track: Join two lengths of track, Add a lenght of track, delete a length of track, rotate the track (X, Y, Z), twist the track (X, Y, Z), Move a length of track (Raise/Lower, Left/Right, Forwards/Backwards), and so on. Each aspect you want to edit will need another tool (or even several tools). List these seperate from the Graphics needs of your software.

3) Chrome. What I mean by "Chrome" is what is there just to make your game look good. For instance, you talk about rendering grass, each tree being unique, differnt textures in the wood, and so forth. These are all chrome.

Chrome is not a bad thing, chrome is what makes your game look nice. This is an essential part of your idea and so an important aspect of your game. But, you do need to seperate this out as its own list. When it comes time to compromise these will be the things that will have to go first (eg: would you rather have unique trees or have the coaster keep falling through the tracks?).

Any, and I mean any, attempt to make any complex piece of software will end up involving compromises. You might have to compromise on Time and a feature. You might need more time to impliment a particular feature, this means that either you have to get rid of another feature or increase the time the proget will take to finish (and therefore have to pay your programmers more and even run the risk that someone else might be making something like yours and have them finish before you).

By knowing what is chrome and what is not, it makes the decision on what to comprimise on easier (it will never be easy, but this will help).

Quote:

I hope you don't take what I have said as being negative. You have stated that you don't know much about game development and I have tried to help you in that. Real life is rarely fair and is usually a lot of hard work and costs a lot of money. But, as you said, this is your dream game and such things are good to have. But Dreams are Dreams adn Reality is Reality, but that should not stop you from persuing your dreams if you really want them.

I believe that we all should ahve at least one unobtainable dream and should work towards it. It allows us to make our own purpose in life and gives us meaning.

Quote:
Original post by Edtharan
The game you are describing is more like a Sandbox game, or something like a simulator rather than a game. That is fine. Not all "Games have to be games. If you think of it as "Entertainment Software" people will understand your concept better.

However:
Quote:
42. New challenges.

This then indicating that you might be thinking of it as a "Game" not just as Entertainment Software.

Remember: If it doesn't need to be a game, then don't make it into a game. Entertainment Software can be fun without having to be a game (think Flight Simulators).

Quote:
Then form a team, which will also include me

You could do it all your self, but it would take decades (and if you think of the time it would take for a single person to do it then the time it would take for you to learn a programming language is not all that significant). However, over this time computer power will increase. If Moores Law holds true, then for every 18 months computer power will double. Lets assume that it takes you 18 years (and extremely optimistic estimate, it could be double, tripple or more times this) to make how much more powerful will computers be in that time: 2^12 or 4096 time as powerful as today. Yikes!

Actually at that level of computing power the details that you are looking to put in will most likely be feasable for the desktop computer.

So looking at that timeline, what you are looking to do would indeed be feasable. But I am assuming that you don't want to wait 18 years to have this game made (well not "wait" exactly, but work very hard for 18 years).

However, if you are willing to compromise on a few details then it might be ferasable that even modern day computers would be able to run the game. If that is the case then you might want to look at a team. But it will still take some time to make.

Now if we are going for a time of 18 years with only 1 person working on it, if we add another it will halve the time (not really but this is only a quick estimate) giving us an estimate of 9 years. Still too long.

Ok we double the work force to halve the time again: So 4 team members and 4.5 years (4 years 6 months) to make. Still too long.

Double the teram size again to 8 and 2.25 years (2 years 3 months).

These people won't work for free. It is not their idea being made, they might not even like rollercoaster games. For them to work for you they will have to be paid.

This means that you will need to fund this project somehow.

Lets assume that the programmers will take home $2,000 each month. You should double this figure to account for all the administration (insurance, etc) costs.

So at $4,000 per month for each programmer with 8 programmers, that gives a total of $32,000 per month for each programmer.

Over 27 months $864,000. And this is just for the programmers. You will need to rent office space, buy (or rent) the hardware (the computers the programmers are going to use), pay for the electricity (for the lights and of course the computers too), and so on.

As an estimet, you probably are looking at an out lay of around $1.2 million to $1.5 million. At least, and probably a lot more. If something goes wrong (a programmer has to leave, or a hardrive crach) then you could even be looking at a massive increase in both time and money to fix the problem.

As far as what you want in the software, it doesn't seem all that complicated. What you are wanting is a physic engine (optimised for rolercoster simulation), a high powered graphics engine and a lot of editing tools to allow you to make the tracks.

However, you only seem to be foccusing on the Graphics engine.

Here are some questions that might help you think about the other stuff:
1) What physics do you need or don't you need? Will you need rigid body physics, collision detection, fluid dynamics, cloth simulations, and so on. Which of them do you need and which can you do wihout?

2) List all the changes to would like to do to a track: Join two lengths of track, Add a lenght of track, delete a length of track, rotate the track (X, Y, Z), twist the track (X, Y, Z), Move a length of track (Raise/Lower, Left/Right, Forwards/Backwards), and so on. Each aspect you want to edit will need another tool (or even several tools). List these seperate from the Graphics needs of your software.

3) Chrome. What I mean by "Chrome" is what is there just to make your game look good. For instance, you talk about rendering grass, each tree being unique, differnt textures in the wood, and so forth. These are all chrome.

Chrome is not a bad thing, chrome is what makes your game look nice. This is an essential part of your idea and so an important aspect of your game. But, you do need to seperate this out as its own list. When it comes time to compromise these will be the things that will have to go first (eg: would you rather have unique trees or have the coaster keep falling through the tracks?).

Any, and I mean any, attempt to make any complex piece of software will end up involving compromises. You might have to compromise on Time and a feature. You might need more time to impliment a particular feature, this means that either you have to get rid of another feature or increase the time the proget will take to finish (and therefore have to pay your programmers more and even run the risk that someone else might be making something like yours and have them finish before you).

By knowing what is chrome and what is not, it makes the decision on what to comprimise on easier (it will never be easy, but this will help).

Quote:

I hope you don't take what I have said as being negative. You have stated that you don't know much about game development and I have tried to help you in that. Real life is rarely fair and is usually a lot of hard work and costs a lot of money. But, as you said, this is your dream game and such things are good to have. But Dreams are Dreams adn Reality is Reality, but that should not stop you from persuing your dreams if you really want them.

I believe that we all should ahve at least one unobtainable dream and should work towards it. It allows us to make our own purpose in life and gives us meaning.

Well yeah. I was think some sort simulation. In order to make them work, I need to have them paid. There goes my dream of having a game like I said. I might let other people copy this idea and let them do the work. Well of course I'm focusing on graphic engine. Well I do need physic of sound and animation as well as collision detection and something that'll detect other part and make animation such as moving wheel, the body shakes a little like in real life. Chrome shouldn't be a bad idea, although I would like the game engine to render some 2D part and then it render 3D in the engine, so it kinda save time and memory. Not sure which I rather have though. As for the gameplay, something of NL and URCD mix, that is self explainotory. Yes I do want it as a realistic simulation. Well I can't do anything for this game except 3D modeling, I'm under 15 years old, so what can I do?

Sty, who turns out to be under 15 years old, wrote:

>New Roller Coaster game that will beat all roller coaster game in the world.
>It a game called Ultimate Ride:Limitless

Sty, consider this to have been a foray into the adult world of written communication. Lesson 1: you presented this idea without enough introduction.
a. You needed to start by explaining that this was a concept for a game that doesn't exist yet.
b. Then you needed to tell your reading audience the purpose for telling the concept.
c. And as has already been pointed out, you posted it in the wrong forum. In point of fact, it doesn't even belong in Game Design - it belongs in a "help wanted" forum instead, since what you're looking for is people to create the game.

>It a better version of Ultimate Ride Coaster Deluxe ...

The grammatical typos in your post are only partially explained by your not yet having finished high school. Forgive me for also asking: were you born in an English-speaking country? Perhaps you were born elsewhere and your parents brought you to an English-speaking country? You didn't say what your career aspirations are, but it's likely that a better command of English grammar will be important in any career you aspire to. I encourage you to work hard at all your high school studies.

>I don't know anything about game development, so I'll post here just to see if anyone going to do this a whole lot of work.

Others have already given you grief for this naïve expectation. And I've already given other youngsters like yourself grief for having expressed a similar expectation, at http://www.sloperama.com/advice/m67.htm

>I got no option but to develop it by myself with no damn help.

Now, now, Mr. Petulant. (^_^) Actually, that is not your only option.

>oh well, this dream game isn't just going to be true, maybe I should think something else other than roller coaster game.

Sure. Get more game ideas. Write them down. I absolutely encourage you to do that.

>Based on what you said, it'll take me over 10 years in order to create a game like that by myself.

Well, at least 7 years. You have to improve your English, you have to experience what it is to hold down a regular job, you have to get a college/uni degree, you have to write a GDD, and you have to form a team of dedicated people. This article might offer some food for thought for you: http://www.sloperama.com/advice/lesson16.htm

>Then form a team, which will also include me

No pro team is going to hire a 14-year-old kid. Sorry.

>I'm under 15 years old, so what can I do?

Read these:
http://www.sloperama.com/advice/designprep.htm
http://www.sloperama.com/advice/lesson12.htm
Good luck, kid.

Read these:
http://www.sloperama.com/advice/designprep.htm
http://www.sloperama.com/advice/lesson12.htm
Good luck, kid.[/quote]

Some of the link is broken. Yes I was born somewhere else, I get confused with Spanish and English. About the hiring a 14 year old stuffs, eh, there are company that just hired 7 year old kid that can 3D model, rare moment. I know they're not likely to hire me. There are 11 and 13 year old that can 3D model, and I'm one of the few teenager that actually can model and know the concept of detail, polycount, which is a render mesh, detail, using UV and so on. I'll follow the advice of the link. Starting with the coaster spline and mesh part for the new game. So, I'm off now.

Quote:
Original post by StylizedCarfan1
There are 11 and 13 year old that can 3D model, and I'm one of the few teenager that actually can model and know the concept of detail, polycount, which is a render mesh, detail, using UV and so on.

Firstly, the first clause of your statement invalidates the rest. Furthermore, anyone with a PC and a piece of 3D modelling software can learn to model, texture, animate and render. I am very far from being an artist, but I taught myself to do all those things in my mid teens, merely because nobody else was going to do it for me, and I needed models for my game.

The best advice I can give you (and others have already given you the same advice) is to lose the attitude. You need to approach this sort of thing with a professional air, and not a sense of entitlement, or a large ego.

Quote:
There goes my dream of having a game like I said.

No, it does not destroy your dream. It just means that you are going to have to work to make the dream happen.

You might think that something like Disney land would have been easy to get started. It is obvious (now) that kids love it and it is a great money earner. So you would think that if Walt Disney approched some investor and presented this idea, then the first one would have immediatly snapped up the opertunity. Well, the real world is not like that, he had to make that presentation to over 100 differnet investors. This would have taken him several years (I am not sure how long it actually took). But if he had just said that because it was going to take some hard work and a long time to do it, that his dream was therefore shattered, we would not have had Dinsey land.

The fact is, Walt Disney realised that to make his dream happen, then it was going to take a LOT of really hard work and a long time. But geuess what, he put the effort in and made his dream happen.

Dreams will not happen by themselves. You have to make them happen with a lot of hard work and perserverence.

I'll tell you one thing. If you are not willing to put the effort in, you dream game will never get made. However, if you are willing to put the effort in, then there is a chance that you will succeed.

I forget who said it, but: "Invention is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration".

All the time you have spent playing the rolercoaster games, that is the 1%. Multiply that by 99 and you have an estimate on what the effort you are going to have to put into this.

But that is the same with ANYTHING in life. If you want to achieve annything in your life, that is the effort you are going to have to put in.

You are young and have never really had to deal with this kind of situation before. But as you grow older, you will discover just how hard (and completely unfair) life is. You will learn how hard you actually have to work. You might think the homework you have at school is a lot of work, well compared to real life, it is not much effort at all.

The fact that you are giving up so easy on your dream just because it will take effort, time and money to achieve means that you still have a big nasty lesson to learn about life.

Quote:
I might let other people copy this idea and let them do the work.

No, don't give up. Put some effort into it and you might get other to share this kind of dream. Someone who shows that they are willing to put as much effort as needed into their dreams will be an inspiration to others.

Quote:
Well of course I'm focusing on graphic engine.

A graphics engine is not a game. Not by a long shot. All a graphics engine does is take what your game produces and shows it to the player. Just because you can model the spline of a coaster track, or render 100,000,000 polygons per second is in no way a game.

Think about it this way: A graphics engine is like a TV set. You might have the best TV set in the world, but if there are no TV studios making shows, if ther eis no transmitter transmitting those shows on a frequency and format your TV set can pick up, then that realy good TV set is not really worth anything to you.

If you focus on the grapohics engine, then you will never have the game you want simply because without the stuff happening in the background, you graphics engine, no matter how amazing and feature filled it is, will not ahve anything to display.

This is what I was talkinga bout with the Chrome. That graphics engine is completely Chrome. Everything you want that involves the Graphics engine is nothing without the game behind it.

So, before you even start thinking abut a graphics engine you shouold have some idea of what the game will be doinig.

It is a common mistake with people just starting to think about making games. They want to replicate (or improve on) what they see. And what they see is what the graphics engine puts out.

One of the best descritions I have heard as to what a computer game really is like is: "A Database with a pretty front end."

That pretty front end is the Graphics engine. But with out that "Database" behind it, that pretty front end does nothing.

You seem to have a good grasp of graphics and 3D modeling on computers. So I assume that this is what you have learnt to do. There is another saying: "If all you have is a hammer, then everything starts to look like a nail."

All you have is skills in graphics, so everything is starting to look like polygons. :D

My advice is to learn about programming. You don't need to try and become a programmer, but learn enough so that you understand what the job of a programmer is in game design and that understand the concepts behind it all.

Not only will this help you describe what you are wanting better, but it will also allow you to communicate this more effectivly.

I, for one, am pleased to see a hare-brained idea for the ultimate roller coaster sim, rather than yet another hare-brained scheme for a WoW/Matrix/Gundam game that has everything you can think of, everything else, and boobs.

At least your idea indicates a passion and interest that isn't likely to have been shaped entirely by prevailing cultural trends and marketing. If you can harness that primordial energy and direct it toward a systematic actualization of your goals, you could have a very interesting career that would satisfy your creative needs, even if it doesn't generate the specific product you've envisioned here.

Quote:
Original post by Iron Chef Carnage
I, for one, am pleased to see a hare-brained idea for the ultimate roller coaster sim, rather than yet another hare-brained scheme for a WoW/Matrix/Gundam game that has everything you can think of, everything else, and boobs.

At least your idea indicates a passion and interest that isn't likely to have been shaped entirely by prevailing cultural trends and marketing. If you can harness that primordial energy and direct it toward a systematic actualization of your goals, you could have a very interesting career that would satisfy your creative needs, even if it doesn't generate the specific product you've envisioned here.
Pretty much agreed. I do have high creative intelligience, one of the reason why I make my own images, draw, model in real-time 3D. As for the WoW/Matrix/Gundam game has everything you can think of, everything else, and boobs, people think of that game, O_o, probably not a good idea for kids.
Quote:
Original post by Edtharan
Quote:
There goes my dream of having a game like I said.

No, it does not destroy your dream. It just means that you are going to have to work to make the dream happen.

You might think that something like Disney land would have been easy to get started. It is obvious (now) that kids love it and it is a great money earner. So you would think that if Walt Disney approched some investor and presented this idea, then the first one would have immediatly snapped up the opertunity. Well, the real world is not like that, he had to make that presentation to over 100 differnet investors. This would have taken him several years (I am not sure how long it actually took). But if he had just said that because it was going to take some hard work and a long time to do it, that his dream was therefore shattered, we would not have had Dinsey land.

The fact is, Walt Disney realised that to make his dream happen, then it was going to take a LOT of really hard work and a long time. But geuess what, he put the effort in and made his dream happen.

Dreams will not happen by themselves. You have to make them happen with a lot of hard work and perserverence.

I'll tell you one thing. If you are not willing to put the effort in, you dream game will never get made. However, if you are willing to put the effort in, then there is a chance that you will succeed.

I forget who said it, but: "Invention is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration".

All the time you have spent playing the rolercoaster games, that is the 1%. Multiply that by 99 and you have an estimate on what the effort you are going to have to put into this.

But that is the same with ANYTHING in life. If you want to achieve annything in your life, that is the effort you are going to have to put in.

You are young and have never really had to deal with this kind of situation before. But as you grow older, you will discover just how hard (and completely unfair) life is. You will learn how hard you actually have to work. You might think the homework you have at school is a lot of work, well compared to real life, it is not much effort at all.

The fact that you are giving up so easy on your dream just because it will take effort, time and money to achieve means that you still have a big nasty lesson to learn about life.

Quote:
I might let other people copy this idea and let them do the work.

No, don't give up. Put some effort into it and you might get other to share this kind of dream. Someone who shows that they are willing to put as much effort as needed into their dreams will be an inspiration to others.

Quote:
Well of course I'm focusing on graphic engine.

A graphics engine is not a game. Not by a long shot. All a graphics engine does is take what your game produces and shows it to the player. Just because you can model the spline of a coaster track, or render 100,000,000 polygons per second is in no way a game.

Think about it this way: A graphics engine is like a TV set. You might have the best TV set in the world, but if there are no TV studios making shows, if ther eis no transmitter transmitting those shows on a frequency and format your TV set can pick up, then that realy good TV set is not really worth anything to you.

If you focus on the grapohics engine, then you will never have the game you want simply because without the stuff happening in the background, you graphics engine, no matter how amazing and feature filled it is, will not ahve anything to display.

This is what I was talkinga bout with the Chrome. That graphics engine is completely Chrome. Everything you want that involves the Graphics engine is nothing without the game behind it.

So, before you even start thinking abut a graphics engine you shouold have some idea of what the game will be doinig.

It is a common mistake with people just starting to think about making games. They want to replicate (or improve on) what they see. And what they see is what the graphics engine puts out.

One of the best descritions I have heard as to what a computer game really is like is: "A Database with a pretty front end."

That pretty front end is the Graphics engine. But with out that "Database" behind it, that pretty front end does nothing.

You seem to have a good grasp of graphics and 3D modeling on computers. So I assume that this is what you have learnt to do. There is another saying: "If all you have is a hammer, then everything starts to look like a nail."

All you have is skills in graphics, so everything is starting to look like polygons. :D

My advice is to learn about programming. You don't need to try and become a programmer, but learn enough so that you understand what the job of a programmer is in game design and that understand the concepts behind it all.

Not only will this help you describe what you are wanting better, but it will also allow you to communicate this more effectivly.

Well yeah, life is unfair. I'm already dealing with things now. Are you saying rendering 100,000,000 polygon in 1 second is possible? Even without shadows and reflection, it'll take a whole lot of powers. I'll learn on programming though, it shouldn't be hard though since it all mainly math.

Off-topic warning!
Quote:
Original post by d000hg
No it isn't. Programming is 0% maths unless you are programming something to do with maths.

Don't want to flame or anything, but you are wrong. Programming and programming skills are closely related to math. Please do not assume that math is just adding and substracting :)

On-Topic: You seem to have a pretty good idea of what you want, Sty. I only learned my passion for games some months ago. You can definitely work towards being a graphics designer. Then you can form a team and start developing your game. Just do some research, accept how things are and try to work your way up.

Off-Topic: Programming and Maths have logic in common. I find myself using logical thinking a lot while doing maths. Interprating and understanding statements, variables and problem solving are prominent in both, I would presume.

My brother, who is a Maths genius, has done some programming and holds a PhD in physics told me that I shouldn't have problems with programming due to the amount of logical thinking in it. How could he know I was good with logics, if I've never done programming before? Simple: He's seen me do a lot of Maths.

Quote:
Original post by teebee
Off-topic warning!
Quote:
Original post by d000hg
No it isn't. Programming is 0% maths unless you are programming something to do with maths.

Don't want to flame or anything, but you are wrong. Programming and programming skills are closely related to math. Please do not assume that math is just adding and substracting :)
"closely related" is not the same as "the same". Programming can involve lots of logic but lots of programming you do has very little to do with maths. I mean to you the programmer, not how the program is actually compiled or executed.

If you want to continue this, then tell me how a web application which receives data from submitting a form and stores the data in a database is going to require maths skills from the programmer?

if 3(x + 6) = y and x = 2

then 3(x + 6) = 24

else if x = -2

then 3(x + 6) = 12

Rather shabby example but basically we're using some simple logics using if/else. While your suggestion may not have required maths per se, large parts of programming require logic. And logic is a big part when reasoning with Maths. Not necessarily calculating with Maths, but when it comes to understanding the things behind the stuff you do.

I know almost nothing about programming but the little time I spend with GML and watching my friend Martin program, I get the impression that being good at Maths helps.