New Roller Coaster game that will beat all roller coaster game in the world.

Started by
34 comments, last by d000hg 16 years, 1 month ago
No it isn't. Programming is 0% maths unless you are programming something to do with maths.
Advertisement
Off-topic warning!
Quote:Original post by d000hg
No it isn't. Programming is 0% maths unless you are programming something to do with maths.

Don't want to flame or anything, but you are wrong. Programming and programming skills are closely related to math. Please do not assume that math is just adding and substracting :)
On-Topic: You seem to have a pretty good idea of what you want, Sty. I only learned my passion for games some months ago. You can definitely work towards being a graphics designer. Then you can form a team and start developing your game. Just do some research, accept how things are and try to work your way up.

Off-Topic: Programming and Maths have logic in common. I find myself using logical thinking a lot while doing maths. Interprating and understanding statements, variables and problem solving are prominent in both, I would presume.

My brother, who is a Maths genius, has done some programming and holds a PhD in physics told me that I shouldn't have problems with programming due to the amount of logical thinking in it. How could he know I was good with logics, if I've never done programming before? Simple: He's seen me do a lot of Maths.
Quote:Original post by teebee
Off-topic warning!
Quote:Original post by d000hg

Don't want to flame or anything, but you are wrong. Programming and programming skills are closely related to math. Please do not assume that math is just adding and substracting :)
"closely related" is not the same as "the same". Programming can involve lots of logic but lots of programming you do has very little to do with maths. I mean to you the programmer, not how the program is actually compiled or executed.

If you want to continue this, then tell me how a web application which receives data from submitting a form and stores the data in a database is going to require maths skills from the programmer?

if 3(x + 6) = y and x = 2

then 3(x + 6) = 24

else if x = -2

then 3(x + 6) = 12

Rather shabby example but basically we're using some simple logics using if/else. While your suggestion may not have required maths per se, large parts of programming require logic. And logic is a big part when reasoning with Maths. Not necessarily calculating with Maths, but when it comes to understanding the things behind the stuff you do.

I know almost nothing about programming but the little time I spend with GML and watching my friend Martin program, I get the impression that being good at Maths helps.

Few people do logic as part of maths... and then the level of use of it is trivial in programming.

I'm not disputing that the kind of thinking used for mathematical reasoning isn't very useful in programming... aptitude for maths and programming are often related.
Logic as math? Don't you mean math as logic? And also math are used in programming nowaday. Without math, we wouldn't have good feature, we wouldn't have 3D model, we wouldn't have 2D game, we won't have animation. Math is used in programming all the time since the old day. I'll use math for 3D model.
One vertex can be X1, X2,X2 or other X1.2002,Y2.131,Z3.14134 or other infinite combination, 3D modeling is based on math. Smoothing is part of math. If you smooth a mesh 2 polies, it'll turn 8 polies, then smooth again. NURBS is based on math. Everything you see in a game is all based on math.
Quote:Original post by StylizedCarfan1
Logic as math? Don't you mean math as logic? And also math are used in programming nowaday. Without math, we wouldn't have good feature, we wouldn't have 3D model, we wouldn't have 2D game, we won't have animation. Math is used in programming all the time since the old day. I'll use math for 3D model.
One vertex can be X1, X2,X2 or other X1.2002,Y2.131,Z3.14134 or other infinite combination, 3D modeling is based on math. Smoothing is part of math. If you smooth a mesh 2 polies, it'll turn 8 polies, then smooth again. NURBS is based on math. Everything you see in a game is all based on math.

The .jpg compression algorithm is heavily grounded in complex mathematics, but my mom can save a .jpg file without even knowing what "compression" is. Filmmakers can create movies without knowing the mathematics of how the shape of a camera lens effects the image. They just know that "this" lens looks this way and "that" lens looks that way.

Similarly, many, many people in game development don't know all the complex mathematics involved in graphics/lighting/physics/etc. Not only artists, but also some programmers are not highly mathematical (I should know: I'm one of them).

Sure, logic is a branch of mathematics, but it's only a small part of the subject. Just because I can make a mean fried egg doesn't mean I'm a great chef: similarly, just because I can think logically doesn't mean I'm a mathematician.

Check out my new game Smash and Dash at:

http://www.smashanddashgame.com/

Also, the point being discussed was that PROGRAMMING itself is essentially maths, not the problems you are solving. Of course if you are doing physical modelling you have to do explicit maths but in many programs you never do anything beyond arithmetic.
Quote:Are you saying rendering 100,000,000 polygon in 1 second is possible?

Not really. It might be one day, but that wasn't then point. The point was that no matter how good your graphics engine is, even if it is many times better than today's graphics engines without the gameplay to drive it, it is not a game. Get he Game right first.

Quote:I'll learn on programming though, it shouldn't be hard though since it all mainly math.

Yes it is mainly maths (not all maths as some here seem to have read that). Learning programming will not teach you how to turn an idea into a game design. It will help enable you to turn that game design into a game, but ther eis still a lot to learn.

The logical thinking and breaking up what you want to happen into descreet instructions is a good excersize for transforming your ideas into a design.

Game design is different from programming and it is differnet form Art. However, it does use some of the skills form each and so a grounding in both is an advantage. Also, if you are having to make a go of it on your own, knowing how to program will be essential.

Quote:"closely related" is not the same as "the same". Programming can involve lots of logic but lots of programming you do has very little to do with maths. I mean to you the programmer, not how the program is actually compiled or executed.

Yes Programming is not 100% maths, but neither is it 0% maths at any point. Maths is not just about Numbers. Mathematics is a formal system of symbolic representations of process.

For instance, combining two sets (set theory is also maths) containing 1 apple the other containing 1 apple into a set that has 1 and 1 apple is represented by 1+1=2.

Well how does this relate to your question:
If you want to continue this, then tell me how a web application which receives data from submitting a form and stores the data in a database is going to require maths skills from the programmer?

Well a database is a collection of data, it is a Set! Set theory is maths. As shown above. Althoguh you might not be doing maths (as in calculations) it still requiers you to think mathematically.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement