[Need help] How to make a very cool game effect

Started by
6 comments, last by doquockhanh 16 years, 1 month ago
Hi, This is a cool effect in WoW, on the ground, there is a light effect. How can I make this effect in my game?? Thank you very much. [Edited by - doquockhanh on February 29, 2008 9:56:37 PM]
Advertisement
That's simply an additive glow texture. Create a texture with your glow image (eg. the ring glow above). Then either render a textured quad on top of the ground, using additive blending. Or use multitexturing directly when rendering the ground (same visual effect, but avoids possible z-fighting artifacts).
Quote:Original post by Yann L
That's simply an additive glow texture. Create a texture with your glow image (eg. the ring glow above). Then either render a textured quad on top of the ground, using additive blending. Or use multitexturing directly when rendering the ground (same visual effect, but avoids possible z-fighting artifacts).

Woo, you are great moderator, thank you very much.
It's hard to be sure from that screenshot, but I'm going to guess that it's not actually a quad. Because of the way it's faded in the back, it looks like it's more similar to what we've used for health/selection rings around character feet, which is a squashed cylinder. It's still drawn as Yann described (simple gradient texture with additive blending), but the geometry is actually a short cylinder, with the top narrower than the bottom. That, combined with backface culling, gives the effect where the ring is most visible on the front, and disappears on the far side of the character.
Quote:Original post by osmanb
It's hard to be sure from that screenshot, but I'm going to guess that it's not actually a quad. Because of the way it's faded in the back, it looks like it's more similar to what we've used for health/selection rings around character feet, which is a squashed cylinder. It's still drawn as Yann described (simple gradient texture with additive blending), but the geometry is actually a short cylinder, with the top narrower than the bottom. That, combined with backface culling, gives the effect where the ring is most visible on the front, and disappears on the far side of the character.

You mean a disk mesh, aren't you? Is it slow down my game, Osmanb?
Quote:Original post by osmanb

Nono, it's nothing like that. The texture just rotates with the view so that the bright area is always pointed towards the camera. It's exactly as yann described, but with the twist that it's actually projected onto the world geometry somehow (either as a decal of sorts, or some other technique) as opposed to just aregular quad.
Quote:Original post by Cypher19
Nono, it's nothing like that. The texture just rotates with the view so that the bright area is always pointed towards the camera. It's exactly as yann described, but with the twist that it's actually projected onto the world geometry somehow (either as a decal of sorts, or some other technique) as opposed to just aregular quad.

Yeah, I'm also pretty sure it's a projected texture in that game:
1. If you stand at a corner, there is no "texture quad" that reaches over that corner.
2. If you select someone who is walking on a bridge and you're watching him from below, you will see the ring texture even from below. This is a bug (or maybe Blizz wanted it that way), which is described in "More OpenGL programming". You will also find a fix for that there.
3. If you stand on uneven ground, the texture still applies to the ground nicely, instead of hanging in the air.
I finally found out how to render this kind of effect. I am using the volume lighting as in this topic, it isn't exactly the same effect, but it is similar:
http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=25508

Many thanks for your help.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement