Sign in to follow this  
hornzfan3211

Firing a bullet

Hey guys, I am attempting to make a top-down shooter in C# and XNA. My problem comes with the bullet handling. I think that using the generic List<T> is probably the best idea, filling it with a bullet objects. So my question starts here: once the key (space) is hit for the bullets to be fired, what should my next step be? I was thinking something along the lines of
List<Bullets> bullets = new List<Bullets>();
KeyboardState kState = Keyboard.GetState();

if (kState.isKeyDown(Keys.Space))
    bullets.add(new Bullet(ship1)); //parameter shows which ship fired from

But then in my Update method and my Draw method, what would I need to do? Basically I would need to figure out how to have the bullets move forward (easy I would think, just decrement the y-values), have them be on the screen only for like 5 seconds and then vanish, and check if they collide with anything. Also, the issue of having more than one set of bullets needs to be addressed too. Any suggestions?

That's pretty much it. I'd probably have the Bullet class have its own update function, and during your game's update function, you can traverse the list and called Bullet::Update on each item. In Bullet::Update, move the bullet forward, check for collision, respond to collision if one exists, and destroy the bullet when it goes off screen.

Quote:

Also, the issue of having more than one set of bullets needs to be addressed too.

It occurred to me that you could solve this by not solving it.
Since you already have a reference in each bullet to its owner, you can get away with one bullet list for all the bullets in the game.

Quote:
Original post by pulpfist
Quote:

Also, the issue of having more than one set of bullets needs to be addressed too.

It occurred to me that you could solve this by not solving it.
Since you already have a reference in each bullet to its owner, you can get away with one bullet list for all the bullets in the game.

Thats a smart idea, however, I think you misunderstood me. I do plan on only having one list for all of the bullets, what I meant by my statement was needing to draw and update each Bullet object in the list, when there were more than one bullet being fired.

Sorry for the confusion.

Most games will redraw the entire screen each frame so every graphical objects currently inside the screen has to be redrawn each frame. No matter if they have moved or not.
I guess you could keep a rect for each object and invalidate only those that has moved since last frame, before calling repaint but I'm not sure that is a feasible option.
I'm still a bit confused wether that is your beef or not