?'s about Game Programming All In One book

Started by
3 comments, last by RaymondT 16 years, 1 month ago
Hi I bought this book a couple of weeks ago and I am just getting around to reading it an I decided to go with Dev C++. My question at one point, it asks me to install some support files for DirectX8 forconfiguring Dev C++ to work with static linking. Ihave DirectX9 installed on my machine, will this be a problem if I install the DirectX8 files? If I plan on getting Vista or Ubuntu, can I use any of the software on these OS's? Thanks Great book
Advertisement
I don't mean to make you feel like you wasted your money or anything, but anything DirectX8 is going to be pretty severly outdated for graphics programming. As you surely already know we already have DX10, and D3D10 is largely based on a programming model that'd quite different from that of D3D8 (programmable shaders vs. fixed function pipeline). While D3D8 does support shaders, it's support is very weak compared to that of D3D9 or D3D10 and the book isn't likely to discusss many of the shader techniques that are now common in graphics programming. I would strongly suggest that you at least start with D3D9 targeting Shader Model 3.0-level hardare (Nvidia 6 and 7 series, ATI X1000 series ), because that would at least you use most modern techniques. I'm sure you'd still learn plenty of general 3D graphics theory while using your book, but IMO it would be a waste to spend a large amount of time learning fixed-function techniques since they're now gone in D3D10.

I also strongly suggest that you don't work with DevC++. It's older and isn't actively developed anymore, and is generally buggy and substandard compared to other free IDE's. Visual Studio is the de facto standard for windows programming, and the free version ( Visual C++ Express ) is quite full-featured.

As for the libraries, the DirectX SDK stopped including headers and import libs for D3D8 a long time ago. You would have to install an older version of the SDK if yours doesn't include them anymore.
Thanks
What book would you recommend for beginning game programming then? I have been programming in C++ for a short time. Should I jump to C#? I was thinking about developing for XMA Xbox kit, I had heard about

Suggestions welcomed!!
I'm not actually familiar with books...I did all of my learning off the Internet. [smile]

I'm also not very familar with XNA, being a C++ and Direct3D kind of guy myself, but from what I hear it's a great platform and sounds good for beginners. I'm actually planning on learning C# and porting my current game to XNA, as soon as I finish it using C++. C# is also gnerally a much more beginner-friendly language, and if you're not deeply entrenched into C++ yet it would probably be a smart move to pick it up. It's definitely similar enough to C++ that you shouldn't be tripped up too much, but should prevent a good deal of hair-pulling in the long run.

Anyway, sorry I can't refer you to any other books. Hopefully someone else here can help you out!
Hey Bluefox, I've been programming in C++ for a short time also. I found that, Beginning C++ Through Game programming, second edition[see link at bottom for book] isn't a bad choice for beginners like myself. It also wants you to use bloodshed dev-C++ [or maybe that's different than what you're trying to use] but it's easy to install and comes with a disc in the back of the book to use it.

Should work on Vista and XP fine but I found that on Ubuntu [a linux distribution] it doesn't work and same thing with Mac OS X. I'm sure you could find another IDE or compiler on Linux, but if you're doing stuff on Mac get XCode.

If you're familiar with Amazon you can order it from here:

http://www.amazon.com/Beginning-Through-Game-Programming-Second/dp/1598633600

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement