C++ Bug????

Started by
26 comments, last by Ashkan 16 years, 1 month ago
I was working on networking and i made a silly mistake.
Quote: while(1); { cout << "In while Loop" << endl if(argument) { code........ } else { break; } }
As you can see there is a semi colon after the while command. Some how this made the program loop forever at the while(1) bit and not execute the code in the braces. I know this becuase it did not print out the "In while Loop" string. But after i noticed this mistake ( 2hrs later :( ) i took off the semi colon and the program entered the while loop braces and executed the code. then it broke out of it then the if statement was false. Seeing i did not get an error from the compiler why would some one want to do this if its proper c++ code?
Advertisement
size_t strlen(const char *s){  size_t i = 0;  while (s[i++] != '\0');  return i - 1;}
ah kk mmm did not know you could do that thanks
Quote:Some how this made the program loop forever at the while(1) bit and not execute the code in the braces. I know this becuase it did not print out the "In while Loop" string.

Of course, because while(1); is an infinity loop.

Quote:Seeing i did not get an error from the compiler why would some one want to do this if its proper c++ code?

Because C and C++ do not have any strict rules on how you format your code. ; is used to end a statement (in your case, while(1)), which has caused the infinity loop.

Because there is no strict formatting rules, it allows us to write a given statement different ways.

Also, because { and } are used for creating a new local scope, there is no errors in your code--with or without the semicolen (;).
Newer versions of GCC warn on this kind of construct as it's very dangerous and easily overlooked. Have found this bug in somebody elses &#106avascript as well.<br><br>GCC now requires you (if you enable the warnings) to write<br><br>while(1) {}<br><br>as it will refuse the semicolon for such use.
I've often seen such statements coded as:

while(statement_is_true)    ;

It makes it look more like an if statement with one following line without braces. Just a blank line in this case.

Although a lot of people aren't so fond of using whiles or ifs without any braces. Which makes sense. Not using braces has hurt me before. (Well I guess I hurt myself because I wasn't paying attention).
Quote:Original post by ToohrVyk
size_t strlen(const char *s){  size_t i = 0;  while (s[i++] != '\0');  return i - 1;}

size_t strlen(const char *s){  size_t i = 0;  while (s != 0) i++;  return i;}

faster?
void strcpy(char *d, const char *s){  while (*d++ = *s++);}
Quote:Original post by staticVoid2
Quote:Original post by ToohrVyk

*** Source Snippet Removed ***

faster?
It'll generate the exact same assembly, so no.
just a thought, because it had one less loop and one less subtract.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement