I need some recommendations..

Started by
13 comments, last by mmakrzem 16 years, 1 month ago
I've been working with SDL the last few days. I did Lazy Foo's tutorials suggested and they were a great help. SDL was easier than I expected.

However, without using OpenGL, the rendering speed seems to be fairly weak even with use of simple applications. I'm thinking since I didnt have too much trouble picking up SDL, I'll probably try out OpenGL and then DirectX to see which one I feel more comfortable learning.

As I was looking up information, I read alot of things about XNA. I've never used C# before, but if my memory serves me I think I remember reading that it is fairly similar to C except without all the memory functions. I have seen mostly positive things about XNA too. Would anyone suggest that I should learn C# and XNA?
Advertisement
Normally I recommend C# for beginners and intermediate programmers. You're kinda in the middle it seems where you know enough C++ that ditching it might be a waste, but not far enough into it that picking up another language will be a breeze.

It is very similar to Java (only without most of the annoyances) and a little similar to C++. It's my language of choice for hobby projects. Many others here also favor Python.
Quote:Original post by Telastyn
Normally I recommend C# for beginners and intermediate programmers. You're kinda in the middle it seems where you know enough C++ that ditching it might be a waste, but not far enough into it that picking up another language will be a breeze.

It is very similar to Java (only without most of the annoyances) and a little similar to C++. It's my language of choice for hobby projects. Many others here also favor Python.

I've messed around with Python and PyGame a bit, But I was drawn to C++ because of the superior power. I figured once I learned how to fully program a game in C++ I could learn Python a little bit better and try out integrating both of them in my projects to see how I like it, as I heard good things about the performance mixed with the speedy development.

The only reason I really considered C# was because of the things I've seen about XNA. But a few minutes ago I seen someone mention using XNA in Visual Studio outside of C# in C++ etc... is this possible?
Quote:Original post by spyridonz
But I was drawn to C++ because of the superior power.

What do you think that means?

I have a bunch of video tutorials on my website that you could follow to create your own C++ game.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement