NeHe OpenGL tutorials in VB6

Started by
3 comments, last by Paul Dahuach 16 years ago
Heya :) NeHe's OpenGL tutorials looks valuable but they're in C++. I'm studying to make an OpenGL roleplaying game and other games running with OGL graphics, in VisualBasic6. Is there anybody who could translate the tutorials ?
µDp
Advertisement
Few things, NeHe's tutorials are very dated at this point and written by someone teaching as he learned, likely not the best way to learn yourself. Now-a-days tons of good books exist that are a much better source of information.

Also, why use VB6, it is quite dated and for the most part not used anymore by most people.

And lastly, most of NeHe's tutorials at the bottom of the articles have links to source code in other languages. Looking at lesson 3 I found the VB code to be the 3rd link from the bottom:

http://nehe.gamedev.net/data/lessons/vb/lesson03.zip

Might wanna check your eye glass prescription ;-)

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." --Benjamin Franklin

If something is outdated, it's C language with its variants ! VB.NET is very complex for a BASIC-type language, VB6 is easy and logical - easy to make softwares. C languages and Java are extremely annoying compared to mosquitos, no logic, very difficult to debug and to make something small you have to import hundreds and hundreds useless code which size the program up, to like 500KB !

There are different ppl who can learn via a way like listening to another student, and/or by reading simple clear text.
µDp
Hmm I guess I wont comment on .NET and VB here, I dont want a flamewar..

But we're currently working on new tutorials, we only need to set up our wiki (we're having some administrative issues there) and there will be some nice C++ lessons in good OOP style and using up-to-date OpenGL.

If the code for lesson 3 works for you to set up a window thats fine.. otherwise.. Why dont learn a programming language, not only a GUI event handling thing? [wink]
Hello, I must say that I agree with uDp in some of the points. It is logical that the lessons have been implemented in C ++, since it is the language of excellece for graphs; even this way, I believe that Visual Basic has a great advantage on the languages of lower levels, and it is his incredible capacity of rapid development. Though Visual Basic 6 has been left by M$, the virtual machine has certified his 100% compatibility with Vista, so, it is perfectly valid to develop graphical applications, which speed of execution continues being bigger than that of the new offers of M$ with partially compiled code.
With the code being compiled as native code, VB6 it is the fastest basic along the history of basic with M$. For my part, the lessons of nehe have been a help invaluable to understand the functioning of opengl. I have been porting the lessons that were not available in vb, lamentably, I have not achieved yet that they allow me to publish them here. Though, if it falls down inside the interests of someone, the lessons 37 to 48 ported to vb can be found in my web site. NeHe's Lesson 42 in VB6

[Edited by - Paul Dahuach on April 14, 2008 6:04:30 AM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement