Sign in to follow this  
alx123

Is this possible?

alx123    118
Hello everyone I have not posted in a loong time for some reasons. Now I want to retake where I leaft. I want to know if is possible to learn 3 languages at the same time? I was learning C++ but I want to learn others too(perl and lisp). Thanks

rpstaekwondo    100
ok, this is actualy a possiblility, and not as hard as you think, if i could suggest, learn python, c#, and java, because they are completely different, and you wont get them confussed

ibebrett    205
Quote:
Original post by rpstaekwondo
ok, this is actualy a possiblility, and not as hard as you think, if i could suggest, learn python, c#, and java, because they are completely different, and you wont get them confussed

Actually I would say that perl, lisp, and C++ are much more different than eachother than python C# and java. (esp C# and Java which i find relativley similar)

daviangel    604
Quote:
Original post by EnlightDM
Oh yes, it is possible, but the real question here is... Is it possible for you ?

Yup I find that most people make silly mistakes when they try to do that like mixing language elements. For example if you are used to VB it will be quite aggravating to have to keep adding semicolons to the end of every statement in C#,etc when it wasn't necessary in VB.
Also VB's case insensitivity makes it difficult to transition to C based languages in general.
Having stated that you want to restart where to left off makes me think you didn't make it too far with your first language so I suggest you pick an easier language to learn and reinforce the basics before trying to multitask multiple languages.

jbadams    25676
It's possible but may be confusing. Personally I would concentrate on one till you're at least reasonably comfortable with programming and then maybe think about trying additional languages.

axpen    122
Learning multiple languages is actually pretty easy if you can separate the fundamentals of the languages. All languages share a requirement for a base level of understanding of how things work. Language syntax differs on things like how the language handles functions, conditionals, loops and Objects (if it is an OOP capable language). Also you can't just get into one methodology of coding and have it work efficiently in all languages, different languages have different ways of doing things and different conventions. Depending on how deep into the language you get you may want to get into things like lambda functions in Lisp or interfaces in C# (from the little I know of these 2 languages).

I think a good understanding of C++ could go a long way for you, C++ does classes very efficiently and is a great all round language and has a lot of uses. Perl however is nice because you don't have to recompile for every little change. Lisp is kind of a stand alone language, it's relatively similar to LUA, and is apparently a very popular language, as it seems to win a lot of votes for it's efficiency. The problem with lisp is it has different dialects you can learn, like EL (emacs lisp) or CL (common lisp), where CL is most popular in use (for embedded languages like LUA or Python does) but EL will let you script emacs modules.

Generally it's much easier if you get really good with one language, then general skills are transferable, it's very important to have a general understanding of coding. Some things are pretty much the same irregardless of language, like CGI coding on the web, be it PHP of Perl, it's relative. Same with coding .NET, whether it's C#, C++ or VB, though that's a little different since they all share a common framework.

Also what is your reason for learning these different languages, while it may be true that certain languages are better suited for certain things, you can often use one language for multiple things, the real problem with picking the right language comes into large projects that require maintenance. Like I wouldn't personally want to work on a site (large or small) with assembly as the CGI framework.

Whatever languages you choose, good luck in your language learning endeavor!,

Koobazaur    1264
I know C++ and PHP and am currenlty learning C#. It's definately possible, but may be a bit confusing. Even though I've been doing C++ and PHP for a while I still occasionally get confused and make silly syntax errors, like forgetting the $ in front of variables in PHP. Every time I switch after using one language for a while I need to quickly refresh myself on some of the syntax/keywords.