Sign in to follow this  
Cozpolt

Multichannel Audio Help

I am trying to find a multichannel audio library which will allow me to specify explicit per output channel (per-speaker) panning for each sample (voice) in playback. I have been using OpenAL but as far as I know, the only way to get multichannel panning is to specify listener and source positions and let it do the panning. Unfortunately the project I am currently working on requires that I have explicit control of each output channel for each sample. The way I worked around the issue in OpenAL was to cleverly position the sources to get as close to the desired panning as possible. This will no longer work because I need to do some panning would not be possible through positioning (i.e. front center at full volume and rear-left at full volume, every other channel at 0). I have looked into Xaudio2 (only windows), SDL Mixer (only stereo), BASS (proprietary, expensive comercial license) and FMOD (proprietary, expensive comercial license) as alternatives but have not been able to find an acceptable solution. I would like to keep using OpenAL as I'm fairly sure that it has the functionality I require, but I have not been able to find any documentation or examples. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

FMOD is free for non-commercial use, and cheap ($100 iirc) for 'indie' sort of commercial use. And if you're working at a commercial dev house $6000 is relative peanuts in the grand scheme of things.