How to render an object that shine like light sources?

Started by
5 comments, last by jollyjeffers 16 years, 1 month ago
I know how to set-up light. But that's it, it's just light. I've been thinking of how to render light emitting objects like a flashlight or particles that emit light. I've thought of turning off lighting and depth rendering when rendering these kinds of objects (just render the texture or mesh). But it still feels wrong. What if the object will be rendered in 3D space? It wouldn't look normal. What's the correct way?
Advertisement
Give the object some ambient light. It will then "glow" in the dark. If you create a light within the object, it will light other parts of the scene. The ovberall appearence is that the object is "glowing"
Don't thank me, thank the moon's gravitation pull! Post in My Journal and help me to not procrastinate!
You might use some kind of glow or bloom and enhance the effect for emissive textures to give the illusion of it being a source of light... ?
A world oriented billboard for the glow, and a (small) axial billboard for the 'light volume' could fix it. [more info]
A bit of post-processing to over-saturate or blur the light source will probably be an easy enough way of achieving this.

For spotlights (e.g. a torch) you can render light volumes using subtle semi-transparent volumes where the light should be. A bit like 'god rays' for example.

hth
Jack

<hr align="left" width="25%" />
Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ | MVP Profile | Developer Journal ]</small>

Any links where I could dwell more on those topics?
Have a look through Microsoft's, Nvidia's and AMD's developer SDK's - especially the latter two have lots of samples of neat effects and graphical tricks. You can probably find something that looks close to what you want and work from there.

hth
Jack

<hr align="left" width="25%" />
Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ | MVP Profile | Developer Journal ]</small>

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement