Image Quality

Started by
3 comments, last by jollyjeffers 16 years, 1 month ago
hi I'm working on a strategy game using D3D 9 & C++, and I'm looking forward for ways to improve image quality, perhaps I can use some good effects, where can I find some effects, shaders? is there any other way? lighting? anti-aliasing? in general how can I improve image quality? thanks
Advertisement
There are many things that you can do to improve image quality. If you are looking for overall image quality, post-processing effects are probably what you are looking for. Things such as bloom, HDR, and motion blur will add a little life to your scenes. However, textures are also very important. Without nice, detailed textures many 3D scenes can look boring. As for lighting, specular components and normal mapping can make your scenes look much better too.

If your looking to find shaders and effects, try the nVidia library. You can also look into some of the ShaderX books which offer nice effects.

Anti-aliasing is simple to do if it is supported by the hardware. You just set the multi-sample present parameters. No complicated effects necessary.
Image quality is a huge topic, and I suspect you're using it too broadly anyway. Image quality can be anything from correctness (e.g. high quality non-photo realistic rendering) to realism (e.g. global illumination).

Good quality artwork is the real key. Lots of people raved about Half Life 2's "source" engine and how impressive it was. I personally thought it was average (at best) technically but the artists they had generating content were supremely good. Good environments, models, textures and well designed lighting will give you the biggest win.

Also, learn about colour - things like gamma correct rendering and HDRI can be very tricky to get correct, but they will really bring your images to life.

hth
Jack

<hr align="left" width="25%" />
Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ | MVP Profile | Developer Journal ]</small>

thanks for your replies, that helped me a lot, I've found a bloom effect (hlsl FX file) from nvidia lib, is there any source code or sample showing me how to implement this effect?

thanks in advance
The PostProcess SDK sample is a good starting point [smile]

hth
Jack

<hr align="left" width="25%" />
Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ | MVP Profile | Developer Journal ]</small>

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement