Sign in to follow this  

Calculating Cross Product when using Unit Vector

This topic is 3573 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi all, Thanks to sergamer1 in thread: http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=475134&whichpage=1� I'm calculating the initial angle correctly. However I'm not having much luck with getting the sign correct. I'm using the method described in thread: http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=474020&whichpage=1� The sign doesn't always work out as I expect. What I'm trying to do it this: if the difference between the actual path and calculated path drifts my more that 5 degrees then correct the agents orientation. Some times this works. An example of where it goes wrong is: If Actual angle = 52 degrees and required angle is 45 degrees then turn left (assuming a '-' from the x-product). The correction angle is always correct - i.e. 7 degrees, in this case. However the sign is not. Agent is at pos (2,2) and the next path cell is (3, 3). Therefore start vector is (1, 1). This is the code - not sure if it'll help with my explanation. // Work out the vector coordinates StartVector.X = (lPathCell->X - Agent->X); StartVector.Y = (lPathCell->Y - Agent->Y); // Find the length of the vector Length = SquareRoot(x*x + y*y) lStartVectorMagnatude= sqrt(static_cast<double>((StartVector.X * StartVector.X) + (StartVector.Y * StartVector.Y))); // This is calculating the correction angle. The position of the Agent is a unit vector, // i.e. where the length is 1 (We don't have another point from which to determine the // Agents vector. // Need to be measured anti-clockwise double lAgentOrientationRads = Utilities::Deg2Rad(Agent->Orientation); lPathCell->pParentCell->NavAngle = (StartVector.X*cos(lAgentOrientationRads)) + (StartVector.Y*sin(lAgentOrientationRads)); lPathCell->pParentCell->NavAngle = lPathCell->pParentCell->NavAngle/lStartVectorMagnatude; lPathCell->pParentCell->NavAngle = Utilities::Rad2Deg(acos(lPathCell->pParentCell->NavAngle)); //Depening on the sign of the cross product determine which way to turn CrossProductVector.Z = (Agent->X * StartVector.Y ) - (Agent->Y - StartVector.X); if (CrossProductVector.Z < 0.0) { lPathCell->pParentCell->NavAngle= -lPathCell->pParentCell->NavAngle; } Thanks Mark

This topic is 3573 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.