putting files together (Blender)

Started by
2 comments, last by Nik02 16 years, 1 month ago
Hey, this might be a very stupid question but so far I didn't find out how to model several parts in different blender files and then put them together. I thought it should normally maybe work like parts and assemblies in Solidworks. Or at least there should be the possibility copy a model from one file and insert it into the other. So far I wasn't able to find the solution to this but I might be blind. This is only the third day with blender so I'm sure there are still 99% options which I never saw or don't even know of. It would be great if someone could give me a hint how to do this. Thanks, BiGF00T
Now get down on your hands and knees and start repeating "Open Source Good, M$ Evil", smacking your head against the pavement after each repetition. Once you have completed your training you may change your first name to GNU/, to show that you are free from the slavery of the closed source world. -Michalson
Advertisement
File->Append or Link (or Shift+F1)

Once in the dialog, toggle between Append and Link buttons depending on what you want to do. Append will make a local copy of the resource you select.

When you select the file that you want to bring in, Blender presents all importable objects inside that file. Select the data you want to use, and proceed with Blending as usual.

In order to import whole objects (instead of just their internal data), you should select stuff from the "objects" category. As you move to advanced level of Blender knowledge, you will find the raw data import capability useful as well.

Niko Suni

That was quick :)

The naming sometimes still confuses me... As do the (for me) unusual hotkeys... I had searched under "Add" and didn't find anything like "from file".

Now I can finally split up my work into different files.

Thanks a lot.
Now get down on your hands and knees and start repeating "Open Source Good, M$ Evil", smacking your head against the pavement after each repetition. Once you have completed your training you may change your first name to GNU/, to show that you are free from the slavery of the closed source world. -Michalson
Not all shortcut keys are even documented properly.

Nevertheless, if you spend some time memorizing the keys for your most commonly used functions, Blender is easily among the fastest modelers around (including commercial and non-commercial packages).

I would imagine that Append would not benefit from the extra speed so much, but the polygon modeling tools such as Knife, Extrude etc. are definitely faster to invoke from the keyboard rather than from the menus.

Niko Suni

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement