Fresh Start a little advice please

Started by
25 comments, last by blewisjr 16 years, 1 month ago
Quote:Original post by blewisjr
I think I might avoid this XNA concept actually now that I did research on it. Seems even tho it is free there is alot of stuff that they try to pigeon hole you with to get you to get a CC membership. By the looks of the route they are takeing eventually you won't beable to do much with it without one.

How so? The only two things you need a CC membership for, currently, are:

* Running on the 360
* Using the Xbox LIVE services (e.g. Gamertags, internet multiplayer, etc)

It will pretty much always be possible to develop games for PC in XNA for free.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Advertisement
Before I make a decision is it possible to load models and their shaders without the content pipeline?

[edit for rephrasing]

[Edited by - blewisjr on March 3, 2008 7:46:50 PM]
Sure.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Ok if this is the case I think I will give XNA a shot. Going to pick up a book thursday due to having a 30% off slip for any book in the store. Any recommendations for XNA 2.0? Of course I am going to use the MSDN tutorials as well.
Quote:The worst thing about C++/OpenGl or even DirectX is that you have this 100 lines of code that is basically just to make a window, and it just looks sloppy and takes up space. Really intrusive when you're just learning. And even after

Why, oh why must people do that? Compare (in this case) C# + libraries to C++ without libraries.

A quick tip for anyone who feels like making that "argument" in the future: C++ has libraries that take care of tedious stuff too.
Humble people don't refer to themselves as humble (W.R.T. "IMHO".)
Ok, so just a quick question...

If I decided to make a game, and I want to use C#, what's the best way to do it?

XNA 1.0?
XNA 2.0?
Something else?

(given straight managed DX never took off)

Also, what's the DarkGDK thing?
as in my journal I noted that I ultimatly decided on C++ and DX. As far as DarkGDK that is a Native C++ Binding of the Dark Game Engine. So instead of using DarkBasic you can use Dark and C++ through DarkGDK. Think of it as DarkBasic on steriods with C++ performance.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement