Sign in to follow this  
tufflax

Little Languages and Card Games

Hey! I'm thinking about doing a virtual card game, similar to some degree to Magic: The Gathering. I've heard about the concept of "little languages" or "domain-specific programming languages" and thought that that technique would lend itself pretty good to a card game. I've never tried it though. So, my questions: * Do you think that a "little language" is a good technique for a card game? * Is there any programming language that is more fitting to do this kind of thing in? I would say the more high level, the better. Are there any key features I should look for? I know Python, but maybe it would be better if I used something else. * Do you have any tips for me regarding the implementation of, and structure of, the little language (in a card game, or in general)?

For a card game? Python with PyGame libraries will be a good bet. Java can work easy out of the box for it as well, but learning Python is nice and easy for the most part.

Quote:
Original post by tufflax
* Do you think that a "little language" is a good technique for a card game?

The "little language" pattern is only really meaningful when you are writing the rest of the game in a "big uncomfortable language". Use a good HLL and this won't be a concern.