Sign in to follow this  

dark gdk

This topic is 3563 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

A bit late here but I'll still put in my tuppence worth.

I won't swear as to what it's actually written in but it ostensibly is intended to provide a C++ API in which to create. However, it seems that they were very careful to make everything seem to be in alignment with the API from Dark Basic. Aside from some function parameters having different footprints there isn't much of C++ or object orientation about it. Things we would consider to be objects are actually numbered items within, say, the sprite workspace or the image workspace. There are also some problems with documentation and a certain clinging to the BASIC paradigm. Some documentation indicates that something that returns the address of some memory space actually returns an int. Yet Intellisense says it returns a DWORD. I hesitate to cast something like that to a pointer.

Having said that, I still find it useful and am in the process of creating some simple-minded encapsulation to ease some of my 2D game programming. It provides some things that required more attention to detail in other APIs I've tried. The version for C# .NET is due out soon which may remove some of the remnants of BASIC.

There are some problems that seem to arise when trying to compile in debug mode if you include some of the standard library #includes but an adjustment in the project usually takes care of that.

This topic is 3563 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.