The road towards Level Design

Started by
4 comments, last by particleof fire 16 years, 1 month ago
I was directed here by soe nice guys over at the Technicks ;) So a couple of weeks ago, I learned that aspiring to be a game designer, having very cool ideas (fleshed out or no) and displaying a good grip of the English language and whatnot, is just not enoguh at times. Why? Well, because before I can start my own project and ask others to join in, I think it's only fair that I get some experience with working in a team before attempting to lead one myself. The other reason is that I feel I want to be able to contribute with something else besides creating heaps of game ideas. Sure, aside from writing GDD's and making sure things run along smoothly, I feel it would be nice if I would contribute with something else... The position I'm thinking about would be Level Design. Since I don't have the tools necessary to compose music or design graphics, I can't be Composer or Graphics Artist or Graphics Designer. I'm not confident in my drawing skills, so that excludes Concept Artist (I could do a few things but only a few). I don't know how to program, so that's out of the question as well. (SIDENOTE: Why are my threads always so long?) So, if I want to do some Level Design because I feel that's something concrete I can work with on a continual basis, what would I need? What skills and tools or programs would be required? This, of course, varies depending on what kind of game is being made.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Metallon
(SIDENOTE: Why are my threads always so long?)
So, if I want to do some Level Design blah blah blah blah blah blah blah, what would I need? Blah blah blah blah blah blah.

Your threads are clearly too long because you put too many words into them! (^_^)
Yes, level design is a good way to break into game design. To start learning level design, you should play with mod tools that many PC games come with. Start small, learn, then expand your knowledge gradually.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Exactly my thoughts! For the time being, my computer is kind of crap so I can only work with smaller maps using Warcraft III's World Editor. Once I get my new computer (should be around July or August(, I think I'll start using UnrealEd*.

But, if I want to join a team who wants to make a game, what programs do I use, or does that differ depending on what kind of game it is? I think that's the valid question: what program(s) do I use if I want to be a level designer for a team? Right now we're talking about the teams that people create around here on GameDev.

Thanks for the reply, Tom! (I like your site, it's me haven to FAQs)

* When using UnrealEd, do you have access to UnrealScript?
Quote:Original post by Metallon
But, if I want to join a team who wants to make a game, what programs do I use, or does that differ depending on what kind of game it is? I think that's the valid question: what program(s) do I use if I want to be a level designer for a team? Right now we're talking about the teams that people create around here on GameDev.

Depends on the team. Generally speaking, the better teams won't let you in that easily, unless you've got some work to show. Bad teams, on the other hand, will take anyone that shows up - and usually fall apart just as quick.

Which programs you use depend on which game you're modding. Hammer editor for the Half-Life series, UnrealEd for the Unreal series, and so on. For modelling, it's usually 3DS Max or another modelling package, combined with some game-specific conversion tools. Just look around in some modding communities to get a better idea of the ins and outs of modding a game.

Quote:* When using UnrealEd, do you have access to UnrealScript?

That shouldn't take too long to find out. ;) Anyway, yes, it appears that UnrealEd allows you to write and compile UnrealScript.
Create-ivity - a game development blog Mouseover for more information.
Quote:Original post by Captain P
Depends on the team. Generally speaking, the better teams won't let you in that easily, unless you've got some work to show. Bad teams, on the other hand, will take anyone that shows up - and usually fall apart just as quick.

It isn't that easy to tell if a team is good or bad unless they can prove otherwise - with a finished project maybe? However, any decent team will ask of me to show them asample map or two. No serious team will just tell me to join with no idea of whether I can do my job or not.

Quote:
For modelling, it's usually 3DS Max or another modelling package, combined with some game-specific conversion tools. Just look around in some modding communities to get a better idea of the ins and outs of modding a game.

I'll have to do that. That was part of my question initially; if I needed some sort of modelling program if the game is not a mod of some kind. I don't think 3DS Max is available anymore, though.
3DS can be hard to get hold of, unless you have access to it through a college or university. I'm not sure but I think Maya, the other widely used 3d modeling tool, still offers a learners edition for those not looking to make a profit out of it. Most of the skills you could pick up in Maya are transferable to other 3D packages.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement