• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
bloodhound23

OpenGL OpenGL without X11

This topic is 3786 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement
You'd use the standalone Mesa3D library, without any sort of hardware acceleration. It would suck. Why would you do such a thing, though?

Quote:
Original post by bloodhound23
So, I should use x11 with my apps? Ok, can you point me to some kind of manual for programming opengl apps in linux?

If you use something like GLUT, you just go at it.. if you mean pure openGL with no wrappers.. well, tell me when you find a link. Also why would you not want to use X11/X.org?

Glxgears.c. Check make_window() and main() on how to create an OpenGL window. Mesa User Guide. You'll also need the xlib reference: http://tronche.com/gui/x/xlib/. For fullscreen modes, check GLFW's x11_window.c.

You can also take a look at SDL or FreeGlut source code. Or, if you prefer managed code (C#), check OpenTK's X11GLNative.cs.

These should be enough for starters. ;)

Oh, come on, just use SDL that will do all windowing for you in 2 or 3 calls also it can handle controls(keyboard, mouse, joysticks, etc), sound, threads timers, etc.
I think SDL is much better than GLUT(my opinion).

I would also recommend using SDL (or similar) unless there's Xlib functionality you need which they don't offer (I'm not aware of any SDL-like libraries that support multiple monitors properly, for example). Pretty much all of the big-name Linux ports for Id, Epic and the like use SDL so it's not like it's not a 'proper' way to do it. [smile]

Quote:
(I'm not aware of any SDL-like libraries that support multiple monitors properly, for example)

See sig (but that's for .Net/Mono languages).

Quote:
Original post by Dospro
Oh, come on, just use SDL that will do all windowing for you in 2 or 3 calls also it can handle controls(keyboard, mouse, joysticks, etc), sound, threads timers, etc.
I think SDL is much better than GLUT(my opinion).

QFT.
Go with SDL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!