OpenGL without X11

Started by
17 comments, last by bloodhound23 16 years, 1 month ago
How would I use opengl withought having to integrate it with X11? I am using linux if you haven't noticed. Specifically ubuntu.
Advertisement
You'd use the standalone Mesa3D library, without any sort of hardware acceleration. It would suck. Why would you do such a thing, though?
So, I should use x11 with my apps? Ok, can you point me to some kind of manual for programming opengl apps in linux?
Quote:Original post by bloodhound23
So, I should use x11 with my apps? Ok, can you point me to some kind of manual for programming opengl apps in linux?

If you use something like GLUT, you just go at it.. if you mean pure openGL with no wrappers.. well, tell me when you find a link. Also why would you not want to use X11/X.org?
I don't know forget that part. I am still looking for a reference
Glxgears.c. Check make_window() and main() on how to create an OpenGL window. Mesa User Guide. You'll also need the xlib reference: http://tronche.com/gui/x/xlib/. For fullscreen modes, check GLFW's x11_window.c.

You can also take a look at SDL or FreeGlut source code. Or, if you prefer managed code (C#), check OpenTK's X11GLNative.cs.

These should be enough for starters. ;)

[OpenTK: C# OpenGL 4.4, OpenGL ES 3.0 and OpenAL 1.1. Now with Linux/KMS support!]

Oh, come on, just use SDL that will do all windowing for you in 2 or 3 calls also it can handle controls(keyboard, mouse, joysticks, etc), sound, threads timers, etc.
I think SDL is much better than GLUT(my opinion).
I would also recommend using SDL (or similar) unless there's Xlib functionality you need which they don't offer (I'm not aware of any SDL-like libraries that support multiple monitors properly, for example). Pretty much all of the big-name Linux ports for Id, Epic and the like use SDL so it's not like it's not a 'proper' way to do it. [smile]
Quote:(I'm not aware of any SDL-like libraries that support multiple monitors properly, for example)

See sig (but that's for .Net/Mono languages).

[OpenTK: C# OpenGL 4.4, OpenGL ES 3.0 and OpenAL 1.1. Now with Linux/KMS support!]

Quote:Original post by Dospro
Oh, come on, just use SDL that will do all windowing for you in 2 or 3 calls also it can handle controls(keyboard, mouse, joysticks, etc), sound, threads timers, etc.
I think SDL is much better than GLUT(my opinion).

QFT.
Go with SDL.
Don't thank me, thank the moon's gravitation pull! Post in My Journal and help me to not procrastinate!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement