Geometry Wars-esque game created for a college class

Started by
6 comments, last by jmbothfsh 16 years, 1 month ago
Hi everyone, I'm very proud to announce that we've just completed the game "Invasion." It was developed in XNA 1.0 by 4 people over the past 11 weeks for a 2d games programming class at RIT. You can watch a video of the game here:
In the "About This Video" section on the right, there's a download link to play. Have fun!
Advertisement
It looks nice, but the download link doesnt work
I just mirrored it here:
http://www.mediafire.com/?jjntixd9bu9
Thanks for letting me know!
after running the requirements installer, and having it crash two times before working, i now got a new crash when starting the game.

Heres the exception that vs2005 gave me

System.IO.FileNotFoundException was unhandled
Message: Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=6d5c3888ef60e27d' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.
I've come to realize the requirements installer isn't as reliable as I once thought. You might want to try manually installing the XNA framework, DirectX 9.0c optional components, and maybe .NET 2.0 from the links in the ReadMe.
Note that even if you have DirectX installed, XNA has some extra optional requirements that will be installed if you install the file in the included links.
ive downloaded xna framework redist and it worked !

It was pretty fun ! lots of action !

I also liked the online highscores, and i added a couple there (couldn't do better than #7th at 290 000)

There's one thing that really annoys me though ! The bounding boxes are bigger than they appear !

Are you using rectangles for collision ? if so, you should use ellipse instead (since the ship is shaped that way). I've never tried doing ellipse collision, and honestly, i wanted to do it myself in my game, but ended up doing 2 circles instead, that was much easier and did the job just as well.

Good job !
One last suggestion : Please implement a left handed keyboard only option where shooting and moving are inverted !
Thanks for the suggestions Rambo, I'm glad you like it!
Unfortunately, our 2D class is over, and we're starting up 3D next week, so the game is most likely just about as finished as it's going to get, and the bounding boxes and controls probably won't change.
However, once I get some free time, I'm going to see if I can port it to MS Silverlight so that you can play the game without going through all the installation hassle. I'll definitely keep your suggestions in mind for the next version.

Thanks for playing!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement