Sign in to follow this  
billmason

adding clothing to 3d models

In Anim8or I have a 3d person which I painstakingly created, but he is naked! I need a simple way to make clothes for him. Just painting the character won't work. I need to seee the bagginess of the clothing. Any ideas? The clothing must work with the bones that I already have in the model. Thanks.

Is it a game model? If so then you may have to remodel him/her. It is a waste to model clothing over a character mesh (not to mention it introduces many technical problems). You should always model a character with the clothing they'll be wearing.

If you just need simple 'clothes' that just basically follow the character's body, I'll tell you what I did on a game I worked on. For each new piece of clothing, we would re-render the base character mesh on top of the body, but we would push out the verts along the normal according to the vertex color (we just did straight along the normal with the red, but potentially you could change the angle with the RGB and move it along the normal with the A). So you could give the character something like MC Hammer pants if you wanted, and it remains a paintover (which means, no need to reskin it, swap out body parts, etc).

Two caveats.

First, it is more expensive: essentially, you are rendering the character, then re-rendering him with the clothing on top, and more and more for each piece of clothing- so you will be rendering lots of extra verts.

Second, is UV layout. If you just have a shirt, you will only be using maybe 1/3 of the entire texture, this is no good. Two ways to fix this are:
First, I can't explain what we did exactly, nor would I suggest it... we couldn't do the second option because our vertex format only allowed one UV coord per vertex.
Second, is store a set of UV's for each possible arrangement for clothing (long sleeves, tshirt, pants, shorts, long shirt, etc). Then for an accessory, choose which UV set to pass into the vertex shader.

None of these options are as efficient as modeling a character with clothing or swapping body parts, but depending on who you are and what resources you have available, they may fit the bill.