Sign in to follow this  
gekko

Visual Studio Directory Structure

gekko    478
I finally decided to change Visual Studio's directory structure to something that I don't despise. For this basic, generic template, I'm simply trying to separate the executable, object files, source files, and the Visual Studio project files. Such as this: Project/ --> Solution and project files stored at root ../Bin --> Executable and all required files to run ../Obj --> Object files ../Src --> Source files only ../Tmp --> Non-required Visual Studio files, ie. IntelliSense Moving the object files and executable was fairly easy. The rest of it isn't going to smoothly. Here are the problems I'm facing: 1) Creating new files automatically places them in the same directory as the project file. I'd prefer to have the project files in the project directory, leaving my source folder to strictly .h and .cpp files. 2) The IntelliSense Database is being created in the same directory as the solution file. I'd like it to be in a different folder so I can simply set the entire folder to be ignored by source-control software. 3) The machine settings are saved in the same directory as the project file. this won't be a problem if I find a way save source files in a different folder than the project, but my backup plan is just to stick the project file into the Source folder. Then I have this problem by having machine settings in my source folder. 4) Is there a way to save the Working Directory with the project settings, and not machine settings? I simply want to do $(SolutionDir)\Bin which will always be relative to the machine I'm working on. I'm doing this with Visual C++ specifically. Just curious if any of you had solutions, before I just settle for working around it. Thanks in advance.

superpig    1825
Pretty sure that detaching the NCB and SUO from the project file is impossible. My recommendation would be to use a source control system that can be configured to ignore particular file extensions within the working copy.