[.net] Managed DirectX Sprites

Started by
6 comments, last by Machaira 16 years, 1 month ago
Ok guys and girls I need some assistance with Managed DirectX Sprites, I have a book on how to program DirectX in C# but the problem is that the book is written with 9.0b and there have been some changes to some of the sprite functionality in 9.0c, Also I really want to learn more about using sprites in directx in C# but cant seem to find much for tutorials I kmnow that XNA does this very well but I want to learn directX first as I feel that its best to finish a project that you start and I'm determined to learn DirectX before I move onto XNA and other topics. Any tutorials or suggestions would be appreciated.

Darcmagik

Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most.

Advertisement
Learning managed DirectX (MDX) would be a waste of time for you at this point. Microsoft no longer supports it, and has removed all documentation and samples from the lastest DirectX SDK. Instead, you should move on to another graphics API for .NET.

My recommendation for you would be to use XNA, since it is new, clean, has tons of resources and samples, and is specially designed for beginners.
Mike Popoloski | Journal | SlimDX
Just because it isn't included in the SDK doesn't render it useless. As long as you include the libraries into your installation, whats the problem? MDX is very powerful, more than any 3rd party API.

Anyways, check out:

http://www.chadvernon.com/blog/tutorials/managed-directx-2/sprites-and-2d/
http://www.kalme.de/index.php?option=com_content&task=category&sectionid=4&id=14&Itemid=26
http://www.thezbuffer.com/categories/tutorials.aspx
It's "useless" by and large because it's an end-of-life technology with newer, more active, more well supported replacements available. Except as an educational vehicle, there's no compelling reason to bother with MDX any longer.

None of those replacements are 1:1 mappings, of course, but there is one for every need. XNA covers almost every need, and there are at least two major MDX replacements (our own SlimDX and Demirug's Managed Direct3D 10 project).

Quote:
MDX is very powerful, more than any 3rd party API.

It's just DirectX, and no more powerful in that regard than any other API that wraps DirectX, XNA included.

Quote:
Any tutorials or suggestions would be appreciated.

If you can find an old SDK revision, it will still have the MDX docs. The D3D docs are also useful, as with a bit of common sense you can figure out how the native topics map to the managed topics.
Hey thanks for the advice guys. I think I will make that move away from it then, I was only looking into it because I had a programming class that insisted on us using C# and I did not like the limitations it had for doing sprite's so I made the decision to look into DirectX with C#, but its obvious that its time to move on. I will take the knowledge that I have gathered from reading the book on it and start trying to understand something new. Perhaps XNA or perhaps DirectX 10. Either way thanks for the advice.

Darcmagik

Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most.

Quote:Original post by jpetrie
Except as an educational vehicle, there's no compelling reason to bother with MDX any longer.

I fail to see why that has anything to do with it. Now vs when they were developing MDX - doesn't it have the same strength? 95% of all games is non-graphic API code. So Either way, I don't see what API you use as relevant.

Obviously if you are a commerical business, I would stay away. The MSDN has more articles on MDX than SlimDX, etc will probably ever have. The community for MDX is still very strong.

I'm not a fan of XNA. It's built for XBox, but ported to Windows and is bloated. Not attacking anyone, just throwing out my opinion.
What has put me off XNA is it's inability to have video on textures using VMR9. Has this situation changed? Can XNA support DirectShow or Video yet? If not I don't think it's worth me moving from MDX 1.1 yet.
Quote:Original post by Headkaze
What has put me off XNA is it's inability to have video on textures using VMR9. Has this situation changed? Can XNA support DirectShow or Video yet?

XNA Game Studio doesn't support video yet, although there are workarounds.

Former Microsoft XNA and Xbox MVP | Check out my blog for random ramblings on game development

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement