Sign in to follow this  

Suggestions for short portfolio samples

This topic is 3575 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm a high school student. I'm applying to a selective summer camp at Stanford this summer. One of the classes I signed up for is a computer science course. They look for sample work in the areas of classes that you have applied in. I haven't taken any formal classes related to computer science, and my main sample will be my work for my school's FIRST robotics team. I would like a little something extra. Do you have any suggestions of samples that could be done within a week* and could display my abilities? I'm not looking for something that is super stunning. There's no need for it to be game related at all. I have enough programming experience to be able to tackle a fairly complicated project, so long as it isn't very large. A bonus would be if it was math or science related (since I've applied for a math and a science class also). There's no restrictions of this. None of my game-related programming is both particularly impressive and complete, so I want to try my hand at something short, interesting, and (hopefully) fun to make. I'm drawing a blank for ideas, though. Any help appreciated! * I unfortunately did not get much time between receiving the letter telling me about this course and the deadline for the application! So being a less-lenghty project is necessary. Edit: Oh, just had the idea to submit the random maze generator I wrote for the C# Workshop. Still, if anyone has some ideas, I'm all ears!

In high school i was into the chat scene on IRC. I wrote an IRC utility that forwarded messages between channels on different networks. I also was interested in physics and wrote a spring-mass-damper system simulator. It probably wouldn't be very hard to do these days in C# with XNA.

This topic is 3575 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.