Suggestions for short portfolio samples

Started by
1 comment, last by Ezbez 16 years, 1 month ago
I'm a high school student. I'm applying to a selective summer camp at Stanford this summer. One of the classes I signed up for is a computer science course. They look for sample work in the areas of classes that you have applied in. I haven't taken any formal classes related to computer science, and my main sample will be my work for my school's FIRST robotics team. I would like a little something extra. Do you have any suggestions of samples that could be done within a week* and could display my abilities? I'm not looking for something that is super stunning. There's no need for it to be game related at all. I have enough programming experience to be able to tackle a fairly complicated project, so long as it isn't very large. A bonus would be if it was math or science related (since I've applied for a math and a science class also). There's no restrictions of this. None of my game-related programming is both particularly impressive and complete, so I want to try my hand at something short, interesting, and (hopefully) fun to make. I'm drawing a blank for ideas, though. Any help appreciated! * I unfortunately did not get much time between receiving the letter telling me about this course and the deadline for the application! So being a less-lenghty project is necessary. Edit: Oh, just had the idea to submit the random maze generator I wrote for the C# Workshop. Still, if anyone has some ideas, I'm all ears!
Advertisement
In high school i was into the chat scene on IRC. I wrote an IRC utility that forwarded messages between channels on different networks. I also was interested in physics and wrote a spring-mass-damper system simulator. It probably wouldn't be very hard to do these days in C# with XNA.
Thank you for the suggestions.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement