In need of suggestions ...

Started by
19 comments, last by swiftcoder 16 years, 1 month ago
Hi I am interested in gamedev. I need you guys to recommend me some libraries like Direct3D and OpenGL based on some things I need. First of all, I come from an UNIX enviroment and am very fluent in Ansi-C. I would like a library or engine that at least understands C. I was thinking of OpenGL, however compared to Direct3D, it does not look that great, or am I mistaking? I also looked at Microsoft's XNA, but for some reason it gives me the creeps, maybe it's beacause of the proprietary code. So basicly, I am searching for an equivalent of Direct3D, Ansi-C compatible, fast and furious :) Any ideas? T.
Advertisement
OpenGL is as usable as you can get with C89. Why not use it?
Basicly beacause most OpenGL games I played did not performed so well in the "good looking" aspect as Direct3D.
How good looking something is depends on artwork, not on the graphics API used. Besides, check out Doom 3 if you want to know a game that looks good with OpenGL. Some engines provide rendering paths for both OpenGL and DirectX, and they look practically identical.
If you're using C, Direct3D is not a friendly choice (it works with C, but it's designed for C++), and XNA is completely out (requires a .NET-based language like C# or C++/CLI). OpenGL is probably your only serious choice for hardware-accelerated 3D graphics. If you only want 2D, you could use Allegro or SDL.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Quote:Original post by Ezbez
How good looking something is depends on artwork, not on the graphics API used. Besides, check out Doom 3 if you want to know a game that looks good with OpenGL. Some engines provide rendering paths for both OpenGL and DirectX, and they look practically identical.

You mean to say Doom 3 is actually made in OpenGL?
Doom 3 can be set up to use OpenGL. From the point of view of capabilities, OpenGL can do about as much as Direct3D 9 (I don't know about Direct3D 10, though).
Quote:Original post by ToohrVyk
Doom 3 can be set up to use OpenGL. From the point of view of capabilities, OpenGL can do about as much as Direct3D 9 (I don't know about Direct3D 10, though).

Pretty much all DirectX 10 features have already been implemented as OpenGL extensions.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

Doom 3, quake 4 and ID's latest engine (IDTech 5) are all openGL.

You don't get file loading, sound or user input with openGL - its just a graphics library.

But it is multi-platform friendly.
Roger that, lets run like hell!
You'll have to wait for OpenGL3 to get finished before you can match the capabilities of DX10 but in all honesty both DX9 and GL2.1 offer the same capabilities it's just a different interface.

I'm pro-GL but let's just say I heard Carmack said they'd be using DX for the idTech5 engine.. Bring on GL3 .. soon!!!

When GL3 is finished it'll be the only API to support the same capabilities as DX10 on windows xp, and other compatible platforms.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement