Seeking Guidance

Started by
6 comments, last by JackKnife 16 years, 1 month ago
It's been a while since I've come here, the password reset thing and lack of my old e-mail address kind of forced me to get a new one. At any rate, I have searched, worked, and failed horribly on my own for about 2 years now trying to get moving on my path. I have tried everything i could, with the exception of actually having a school to learn, or having someone guide me. What i would like to ask for is... a path. I want to know where I should start, I intend to use C++ though C# is an option, i suppose. I want to just start over completely from the very beginning. What are my options? Whether it be an online school of some sort or a book, a series of tutorials, etc... Just need to get moving. Like i said: C++ primary, C# secondary.. Any graphics library but i wont have to worry about that so much for a while, just straight from the start. Thank you for any information.
Advertisement
There's numerous other threads, as well as the FAQ for you to review for various opinions.

As for mine: Anything but C++ is fine.
Yeah, i know but i've kind of hit a point where i really can't take the search button anymore, not sure exactly why, but i get disgusted with any forum search buttons nowadays, i've snagged so hard the i have to go back to the beginning and relearn everything, i figured out that the stuff i learned on my own was so cluttered in my head that i couldn't use it for anything... so i am at the end of my rope, usually i hate making posts so it's kind of that... last minute desperation measure.
Quote:Original post by wolfhermit
I want to know where I should start, I intend to use C++ though C# is an option, i suppose. I want to just start over completely from the very beginning. What are my options?
Whether it be an online school of some sort or a book, a series of tutorials, etc... Just need to get moving.

You're saying you want to become a game programmer. You haven't said how old you are, what level of education you've completed, or what your current occupation is. And you haven't said what you've done so far to try to learn about programming. Kinda hard to advise you until you give us that minimal amount of background (and nothing more).

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

find some tutorials and follow along. That's what I would recommend.
i know what you mean, i had a hard time starting out. there s just so much information it is overwhelming. i would recommend picking a path, so c++/opengl, c++/directx, c#/xna or python/pygame. after you pick a path for yourself, look for some good resources and stick to it.

the path i took was c++/opengl. get a book to teach you c++. if you want to do c++ with a bit of a focus on game programming, Beginning C++ Through Game Programming, 2nd Ed. It's not too big to overwhelm you, but it will teach you the basics. also the site http://www.cprogramming.com/tutorial.html is helpful if you don't understand something from the book.

i then learnt opengl, which i learnt from the site http://www.videotutorialsrock.com/ this site has tutorials set up like lessons, so i didn't have to think about what to learn, just follow the tutorials.

this should set you up on a good path to start making some of your own basic games.

good luck
I would learn a little C, but not too much. Then go to cplusplus.com (Right site?) and follow their tutorials. Once you get comfortable, go over to Nehe and read up on their basic tutorials, then make pong from scratch, no help. After that, you're on your way. I took that path last summer, the times before that don't count ;)
I'm working on getting hype for my commercial 2D game right now, so that seems to be a fair path. Dont expect it to happen over night though, it takes lots of work.
Just a word of caution:

Be careful with C++ since it is an object-oriented language. It would be wise to start off with a more basic language to help you learn concepts. If you dive into a language like C++ right away you'll be more likely to pick up bad habits that will haunt you later. But that is just a suggestion...take it or leave it my friend.

-JackKnife-
JackKnife

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement