2d Sprites 3D Board

Started by
1 comment, last by yewbie 16 years, 1 month ago
I am trying to make a battle system like the one in Final Fantasy Tactics, mainly for the purposes of enjoyment and learning. I am building the board out of a bunch of 3d cubes at different heighths using OpenGl and Python. My question is this: How would I go about implementing 2d sprites on a 3d board? To be more specific, I have a bunch of 2d sprites that I want to use. My concern is that they will look alright while standing still, but when the camera moves about the sprites will look odd, as they are not 2d. The best idea I can up with is to attempt to limit the angles the camera can look at the board from. Then, I could just change the facing of the sprite based around the angle. Thank you for any help; I'm sorry if this question has an obvious answer, I'm relatively new to graphics related things.
Advertisement
I suggest you do a web search for "billboarding".
I think what tactics did is only allow you to rotate the camera in 90 degree increments and it would do it in 1 frame so once you clicked rotate all the facing on the sprites would change, I hope this helps, you had to right idea the only other thing is have the sprites rotate the always look at the camera, although that would defeat the purpose of facing directions =p

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement