Function Does Not Take 14 Arguements

Started by
1 comment, last by Raxis 16 years, 1 month ago
Well first off this is a DirectX question: My code: // include the basic windows header files and the Direct3D header file #include <windows.h> #include <windowsx.h> #include <d3d9.h> // define the screen resolution and keyboard macros #define SCREEN_WIDTH 640 #define SCREEN_HEIGHT 480 #define KEY_DOWN(vk_code) ((GetAsyncKeyState(vk_code) & 0x8000) ? 1 : 0) #define KEY_UP(vk_code) ((GetAsyncKeyState(vk_code) & 0x8000) ? 0 : 1) // include the Direct3D Library file #pragma comment (lib, "d3d9.lib") // global declarations LPDIRECT3D9 d3d; // the pointer to our Direct3D interface LPDIRECT3DDEVICE9 d3ddev; // the pointer to the device class // function prototypes void initD3D(HWND hWnd); // sets up and initializes Direct3D void render_frame(void); // renders a single frame void cleanD3D(void); // closes Direct3D and releases memory // the WindowProc function prototype LRESULT CALLBACK WindowProc(HWND hWnd, UINT message, WPARAM wParam, LPARAM lParam); // the entry point for any Windows program int WINAPI WinMain(HINSTANCE hInstance, HINSTANCE hPrevInstance, LPSTR lpCmdLine, int nCmdShow) { HWND hWnd; WNDCLASSEX wc; ZeroMemory(&wc, sizeof(WNDCLASSEX)); wc.cbSize = sizeof(WNDCLASSEX); wc.style = CS_HREDRAW | CS_VREDRAW; wc.lpfnWndProc = (WNDPROC)WindowProc; wc.hInstance = hInstance; wc.hCursor = LoadCursor(NULL, IDC_ARROW); // wc.hbrBackground = (HBRUSH)COLOR_WINDOW; // not needed any more wc.hbrBackground = (HBRUSH)COLOR_WINDOW; wc.lpszClassName = L"WindowClass"; RegisterClassEx(&wc); hWnd = CreateWindowEx(NULL, L"WindowClass", L"Our First Direct3D Program", WS_EX_TOPMOST | WS_POPUP, // fullscreen values 0, 0, // the starting x and y positions should be 0 SCREEN_WIDTH, SCREEN_HEIGHT, // set the window to 640 x 480 640, 480, NULL, NULL, hInstance, NULL); ShowWindow(hWnd, nCmdShow); // set up and initialize Direct3D initD3D(hWnd); // enter the main loop: MSG msg; while(TRUE) { DWORD starting_point = GetTickCount(); if (PeekMessage(&msg, NULL, 0, 0, PM_REMOVE)) { if (msg.message == WM_QUIT) break; TranslateMessage(&msg); DispatchMessage(&msg); } render_frame(); if (KEY_DOWN(VK_ESCAPE)) PostMessage (hWnd, WM_DESTROY, 0, 0); while ((GetTickCount() - starting_point) < 25); } // clean up DirectX and COM cleanD3D(); return msg.wParam; } // this is the main message handler for the program LRESULT CALLBACK WindowProc(HWND hWnd, UINT message, WPARAM wParam, LPARAM lParam) { switch(message) { case WM_DESTROY: { PostQuitMessage(0); return 0; } break; } return DefWindowProc (hWnd, message, wParam, lParam); } // this function initializes and prepares Direct3D for use void initD3D(HWND hWnd) { d3d = Direct3DCreate9(D3D_SDK_VERSION); // create the Direct3D interface D3DPRESENT_PARAMETERS d3dpp; // create a struct to hold various device information ZeroMemory(&d3dpp, sizeof(d3dpp)); // clear out the struct for use d3dpp.Windowed = TRUE; // program windowed, not fullscreen d3dpp.SwapEffect = D3DSWAPEFFECT_DISCARD; // discard old frames d3dpp.hDeviceWindow = hWnd; // set the window to be used by Direct3D d3dpp.BackBufferFormat = D3DFMT_X8R8G8B8; d3dpp.BackBufferWidth = SCREEN_WIDTH; d3dpp.BackBufferHeight = SCREEN_HEIGHT; // create a device class using this information and the info from the d3dpp stuct d3d->CreateDevice(D3DADAPTER_DEFAULT, D3DDEVTYPE_HAL, hWnd, D3DCREATE_SOFTWARE_VERTEXPROCESSING, &d3dpp, &d3ddev); return; } // this is the function used to render a single frame void render_frame(void) { // clear the window to a deep blue d3ddev->Clear(0, NULL, D3DCLEAR_TARGET, D3DCOLOR_XRGB(0, 40, 100), 1.0f, 0); d3ddev->BeginScene(); // begins the 3D scene // do 3D rendering on the back buffer here d3ddev->EndScene(); // ends the 3D scene d3ddev->Present(NULL, NULL, NULL, NULL); // displays the created frame on the screen return; } // this is the function that cleans up Direct3D and COM void cleanD3D(void) { d3ddev->Release(); // close and release the 3D device d3d->Release(); // close and release Direct3D return; } Now I keep getting this error but I don't know how to fix it(or what it means). Thank you (sorry I do not know how to make my post pretty or more readable) c:\documents and settings\compaq_owner\my documents\visual studio 2005\projects\direct4\direct4\direct5.cpp(60) : error C2660: 'CreateWindowExW' : function does not take 14 arguments
Advertisement
Information for formatting your post is in the Forum FAQ link in the upper right of every forum page.

As for your problem, if you click on CreateWindowEx() in your source code and hit F1, it will bring up a help page for CreateWindowEx() that tells you how many parameters the function takes and what each parameter does. You'll see that CreateWindowEx() takes 12 parameter arguments and you gave it 14. The culprit is probably the fact that you're using both

SCREEN_WIDTH, SCREEN_HEIGHT, // set the window to 640 x 480

and

640, 480,

Figure out which one you mean, and change the call appropriately.
Thanks so much it didn't run as I hoped but it still worked thanks again!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement