Release Game

Started by
6 comments, last by Lucas W 16 years, 1 month ago
Hello. I've created my game now, and everything works smoothly - except on all other computers i try it on. I know that you have to build the application in 'Release Mode' but what more do i have to do, or link, so it works on other computers? Is any installation of the program realy necessary? I mean, console applications doesnt have to be installed if you have the NET framework on the machine. Anyway, if I have to install the game on the other computers, how do I create an installationfile? Is there any programs or such? Tutorials? As you might understand, Im realy new to releasing applications :) Thanks in advance! Cheers
-----------------------------------------------------I demand more toasties!
Advertisement
This sounds rather odd, the game actually runs on their PC?

Normally if you are lacking any sort of dependancy the game would not even load to begin with, or at least... issue an error.

Perhaps this is some other oversight.

It would help if you started by mentioning what language / package etc this was programmed in :)

C#, CPP, ASM, VB... DX, OPENGL, SDL..., GDI........?
I don't know how it works with .NET but if you are using Microsoft Visual C++ it's possible you need to install VC++ run time libraries on other computers. Get them here and try it out:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=200b2fd9-ae1a-4a14-984d-389c36f85647&displaylang=en

Also you must include any non-standard dlls for other libraries you have used (glut, openAL, ogg, whatever) in the same folder as your exe.

It would help if you could provide more information ( which platform, IDE, API, the actual error message you are getting).
Ah, sorry. I totaly forgot to mention my dev platform.

The game is coded in C++ and DirectX, using M VS 2008 pro. My project is a Win32 application project.

I mentioned that applications can run on computers with NET framework 3.5 installed, but its only Win32 Console applications.

When I try to execute the .exe file on the other computers it says something like "This program hasnt been installed correctly".

Thanks
There's a redistributable for both VS2008 and DirectX.

Quote:Original post by Lucas W
Is any installation of the program realy necessary? I mean, console applications doesnt have to be installed if you have the NET framework on the machine.

I program never has to be installed as long as everything it depends on is present. This isn't something .NET specific. And install procedure exists for convenience: checking the computer's configuration and capabilities, creating a folder in an application directory, setting up start menu shortcuts, creating the necessary registry entries, installing third party libraries, allowing one-click uninstall procedures etc.
Ah okay, then I can forget about those installationfiles for a moment now :)

Can you explain "redistributable" a bit? Im new to the buzzword, and it would be great if you could link me some docs.
Quote:Original post by Lucas W
Ah, sorry. I totaly forgot to mention my dev platform.

The game is coded in C++ and DirectX, using M VS 2008 pro. My project is a Win32 application project.

I mentioned that applications can run on computers with NET framework 3.5 installed, but its only Win32 Console applications.

Most certainly it's the Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable that's missing. It is installed together with the .NET Framework 3.5, too, so that would explain why your application seems to depend on the .NET Framework 3.5.

You can can the Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable here:
Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable (x86)
Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable (x64)
x64 systems need to install the x64 redistributable, even if your application is an x86 application. This is so to avoid the scenario of users having the VC2008 runtime only "half" installed (only for x86 applications) on their x64 system.

-Markus-
Professional C++ and .NET developer trying to break into indie game development.
Follow my progress: http://blog.nuclex-games.com/ or Twitter - Topics: Ogre3D, Blender, game architecture tips & code snippets.
Ah ok, I see now.

Thanks to you all! :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement