[web] Flash problems on Linux

Started by
2 comments, last by konForce 16 years, 1 month ago
One of my collegues and I are having trouble with a .swf he is trying to run, so I figured I would ask to see if anyone can make a suggestion (as we are both feeling a bit stumped). The .swf is a small/med flash app (aroung 8 meg), which up until now has been running quite happily on my windows server. We run it by entering http://192.xxx.xxx.xxx/app.swf into our browser window, resulting in the app loading up and doing its thing. The problem however has occured once we have transferred it onto our linux server. We access it by going through a browser (i.e. http://www.domain.com/app.swf), and although the swf gets downloaded, the app never seems to load up (and eventually crashes the browser). Ive tried it on my friends Windows server and the app seems to run as expected, which has led me to wonder if the problem is the fact that the .swf is running on linux. Wondering this I tried it on my own linux server, and discovered that it also refuses to load up there. Our cross domain policy file is working which rules that out, which has pretty much left us scratching our heads. Does anyone have any idea why a swf would run fine on Windows, but not on Linux?
Advertisement
Is Apache sending the right content-type / mine-type for the .swf file? In not, you probably need to add it to Apache's configuration.

Go install the LiveHeaders Firefox plugin and see what the HTTP headers are when you request the .swf file.

<hr />
Sander Marechal<small>[Lone Wolves][Hearts for GNOME][E-mail][Forum FAQ]</small>

I checked and it is sending the correct mime type (application/x-shockwave-flash Object).

I made a simple motion tweening .swf and it worked fine, so im pretty confident that the correct headers are being sent through.

Does anyone else have any suggestions?
If other hosted flash works, then I would check for the obvious differences between platforms like case sensitive paths, etc. Without more information, we are just left to guess at the possibilities.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement