Sign in to follow this  
MetaCipher

[C++] Open DMG or mpkg on Mac

MetaCipher    145
I have a program that displays images for different devices to install drivers for. What I want it to do is you click on your OS (10.4 or 10.5) and have it automatically open the DMG or mpkg (DMG is preferred) like it does as if I opened it from a folder or the desktop. Does anyone know how to do this? (I've looked at execl and it doesn't do anything currently, I assume I need to pass the dmg is an argument to some program so it automatically mounts, and opens and Mac does its fun stuff). Thanks.

MetaCipher    145
Okay, I figured out how to open a file, using /usr/bin/open, but it seems that everytime I try to use execl it simply doesn't work. It always returns "Operation not Supported" - 45 error. I've tried using simply ls, and such, and it still doesn't work.

execl("ls", 0);

I am not sure what is going on.

MetaCipher    145
Well, I figured out that Macs are not POSIX compliant, so execl and such do not work. Instead, I have to use the ApplicationServices framework, and use these functions found here : http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Carbon/Reference/LaunchServicesReference/Reference/reference.html

The one of main concern is LSOpenApplication. Still haven't been successful, but getting closer.

patrrr    1323
Why not use "system"?
Like, system("open blahblah.dmg");
You don't even have to use "open", use "hdiutil" instead.

The reason you're getting an error is probably because the first argument is NULL, I think it should be the path and name of the file you're executing. Mac OS is fully POSIX-compatible.
Just enter the binary's name as first argument, then the real argument list starts after that.
If you want to list /Users/, this code should work:
execl("/bin/ls", "/bin/ls", "/Users", NULL);

And a tip: if the user only wants to install 10.4-stuff on 10.4 installations and 10.5-stuff on 10.5 installations, don't let the user choose. The app should select the correct base.

[Edited by - patrrr on March 7, 2008 2:56:05 PM]