Sign in to follow this  

"artifacts" in scene render

This topic is 3571 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi all, new to the forums so i'm sorry if this has been covered before but i couldn't find anything in the search function. i'm a final year student at uni and doing my dissertation on shadow detection, at the moment i'm slowly creating my 3D scene and have decided to use c++ with directX9. so far ive got a very simple scene rendered: a floor created using the vertex buffer (specifying vertices and normals) a cube created using D3DXCreateBox (placed ontop of the floor) and a spot light source i have just started using hardware vertex processing to help make the scene look a little more realistic and give better shading but since doing so the 2nd of the triangles 'flickers' when the camera is moved has odd shading applied to it, all in all it just looks wrong, the 1st is fine however. was wondering if anyone knew what might cause this problem? thanks EDIT--- heres a picture of whats happening http://img3.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/923c0f1487.jpg [Edited by - Darksi on March 3, 2008 12:02:25 PM]

Without seeing the code I'm only guessing here, but that looks like a z buffer precision problem. Possible solutions:

- Try a 24-bit z buffer - D3DFMT_D24X8 or D3DFMT_D24S8

- Increase the near clip plane, and / or reduce the far clip plane on the camera.

- Apply PCF (percentage closer filtering) and maybe a screen space blur. See http://www.gamedev.net/reference/articles/article2193.asp

This topic is 3571 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.